BOTF XIII Main Thread Game is being Reracked

also the flavor explicitly confirming wazza as not demon then the hosts being like “yeah but people don’t flavor solve” when I brought it up was just

idk

1 Like

i don’t wanna needlessly rag on the hosts so i should probably stop or at least come up with a point here

i flavorsolved using it

I’ll need some time to process what happened as well as RL things so good night now everyone. :sleepingleafeon:

Summary

These all essentially say 'Game needed to be canned here, mate" which I’m not disagreeing with. I’m not saying canning a game should never happen, only that it should be the last resort, and it should be up to the mod to declare, not for the players to ruin the game’s integrity to the point of needing canned.

1 Like

it was already ruined
Demon hunting is a good part of the game, and a poe which consist of 3 players when the game could’ve been saved by wolves is kinds bad

1 Like

imo there is clearly a spectrum of severity of game integrity breaches, with like ‘player accidentally likes a post during night on mobile’ on one end, and ‘host posts everyone’s alignment in the game thread’ on the other end

and separately a spectrum of how widely available the breach was, with ‘accidentally spewed something to one player’ on one end and ‘posted it publicly and pinged everyone’ on the other

and we can debate where exactly the line is between ‘can recover and continue the game, possibly with compensation or modification’ and ‘can’t recover,’ but ‘posted the entire rand publicly’ is definitely on the latter side of the line

4 Likes

Again, I am

NOT

saying that this game in particular could have been salvaged.

What I am saying is that, in general, we should report all breaches of game integrity to the host for them to deal with. This is the best way to maintain game integrity, as it gives the host the most options for what they can do.

1 Like

(I do agree that regardless of severity it is good practice to inform the hosts privately of integrity breaches rather than publicly)

6 Likes

Is it much of a difference in an unsalvageable game

We knew that this was a cause for a rerand, basic wisdom could see that

Yeah, breaches exist on not just a spectrum, but many spectrums, and everyone will draw the dividing lines somewhere differently. Mafia is a complex game, so next to nothing about it can be clear cut.

The best that we can do is judge on a case-by-case basis to determine what to do next.

1 Like

No, don’t

That’s not the point. The point is that we need to allow the hosts as many options as we can to help salvage games. If the host decides that a game is unsalvageable, that doesn’t mean that we should stop trying to give hosts as many options as we can to help the salvage future games, should they need it.

Some parting words, for the road: We don’t stop doing something just because it fails us once. We keep going, having learned what went wrong and how to prepare better for the future.

2 Likes

Fr fr though

I think in terms of actual script design, this script really didn’t have… many characters that popped out I guess? Like with my scripts, I use a wacky character as a bit of a draw (Marionette, Damsel, Atheist). And by design, the script has a lot of protection yet little info and little extra KP besides Psychopath which jacks up KP a shit ton while in play. So it just… feels slow. Kinda like a Zombuul game, yes.

On another note, even though I was Evil (again!), I was still having fun getting into the conversations this game. :slight_smile:

Also, if I do play the next one, I might in as a resident instead of traveler. Right now my schedule and focus are still kind of iffy. Still for the next 2-3 weeks, but after that I should be better off.

3 Likes

Rumor has it we’re gonna get a completely unheard of character on the 5th…

:smiling_imp:

4 Likes

Alright I made a new opening post.
This time, it’s clear which role is storm caught.