(Interest Check) Perjury

This is an interest check.

Trial by media and the court system are two seperate system, which heavily contradict each other by basic evalation of the law.
(In most countries Media arenā€™t allowed to interfere the jurisdication, and jurisdication arenā€™t allowed interfere the media)

2 Likes

Iā€™m aware this isnā€™t 1:1 with any legal system in the world.

3 Likes

If you provide a map, I am interested!

And here I mean when the actual game starts off, I am not asking you to provide a map of the interest check, thatā€™d be funny.

2 Likes

then what is the win condition of the journalist

The defendant/defence/prosecution win conditions are self-explanatory.
Witnesses and journalists have either/or.

1 Like

then surely the journalists will have skewed perspectives too?

the jury justā€¦ wonā€™t know what direction the skew is in, but that doesnā€™t make them any more reliable than anyone else

2 Likes

Wait, wait.

Judges donā€™t decide ni criminal cases? That sounds exactly like case you would want specialized qualified judge to handle the case.

Likeā€¦ jury which only rarely goes to court is going to be very biased - for example giving harsher punishment for killing young kid over an adult.
Meanwhile the jduge which deals with this cases daily and was trained for them soundā€¦ way more objective?

I get now why journalist is supposed to affect the verdict.

1 Like

Imo this game has more sense using non-english countries legal system, without all the ā€œSpecatators being the juryā€.
I really doubt players not actively in RP will read long debates and take decisions.

Meanwhile if you give judge more power by using EU style legal law, you can have him take a decision and be interested in game.

Does the judge always determine guilt in criminal law within the EU? Thatā€™s news to me.

1 Like

While youā€™re correct that juries can be swayed by emotions or public opinion rather than the evidence presented (in real life), given that they arenā€™t legally trained or qualified to be entirely objective, the main purpose here is to achieve fairness. Defendants can be judged by their peers from many different backgrounds, and itā€™s not as easy for a full jury to make a mistake that a singular judge might. Judges would also have limited accountability for their decisions, they would have a more limited perspective than a full jury, and there wouldnā€™t be protection for the defendant against a potential abuse of power.

A question if you happen to know Dai Gyakuten Saiban/The Great Ace Attorney.

1 Like

I donā€™t think so

2 Likes

Hmmm in that game thereā€™s a jury trial.

Each member of the jury has some knowledge that is applicable at the case at hand that can work as anectodal evidence to help the trial go in a certain direction.

But meh, thatā€™s purely fictional and improper to make it more fun.

1 Like

In as journalist

What psychological warfare are you planning in there

1 Like

Marxism

1 Like