Monster Mistery (signups closed)

Goal: Escape with the most character possible alive.

You wake up in a room with other people around. At this point you have a special feeling, that when you die, or fail you will start over at this point, and your general experience will be shared with you for your future attempts.

The game is played in PMs. Send all of your actions during PMs.

Every player is on their own. (Meaning they won’t interact with other players directly.) But when someone dies/fails I will share their general approach in the main hub for everyone to see. (It is in my discretion what I consider as a failure)

(Everyone is playing the “same character”, but in a different timeline/paralell universes. We can call them as Protagonist or just simply P, when we are talking about them outside of PMs. (Of course everyone can have different name in their own story, but even if they have different names, they are actually the same person, whose power is sharing their experience with their other selves.))

The characters in each player’s story are exactly the same.

You are allowed to use the information in other player’s failed attempts to your advantage.

For speeding up things, every player has a special save option. It is to not repeat the same actions over and over once they have a general idea, what they want to do in the early times. WARNING: once you use your save, you cannot change anything which happened before that point in the story. Also it will be noted in your next failed attempt.

Chapter 0: Escape

Once someone escapes I will note that in the main hub, but their experience won’t be shared. (Since they didn’t die or fail.) I will tell them, (and only to them) how many alive characters they escaped with. This will be their score. They still can best their score, if they want, until the end of the game.

Characters need to have at least an unique name to them to score. (Ie.: catching a bunch of bugs won’t increase your score… (also you are not allowed to give names in this scenario…))

The game ends, when each player escaped at least once, given up, or didn’t respond in a reasonable time. (IRL)

The player with the highest score wins, and when/if a new chapter is played, their scenario will be the starting point for that game.

4 Likes

Signups:

1. Silviu200530
  2. Zone_Q11
  3. Leafia
  4. ElizaThePsycho
  5. Wazza
  6. Squirrel2412

(Game will start next weekend.)

1 Like

/in

Hopefully it’s not a dumb question, but what are characters?

And also is there an auto-save feature? Prolly not

Exact definition for character in this case: ***** (it’s a mistery)
but I can tell that the people you are wake up are definetly considered as characters.

No, no auto-save. (Obviously you always can try to repricate everything the same way as you did before, but I can’t garantuee that the exact same thing will happen.)

2 Likes

how long would u consider this?

Hey hey guys

“Mistery”

2 Likes

:scream:

This is… a game where players controls characters. Interesting. It reminds me of “Birth ME Code”, except there is no restriction on which and how many characters a player can play as.
(Or rather, all players are literal “overseers” of the characters, whereas “Birth ME Code” only controls one character at a time.)

Considering each failure is shown… I assume each character in the game world would be the same accross all players then?
Otherwise if all characters are unique, then (1) characters matter less; it’s all about how to overcome the trials, but (2) it’d put a huge burden on the game master to remember each and every character the players have made.

Do we only get one save option, or is this something akin to Visual Novels where we can have multiple save points?

Interesting. On top of having save options, it’s also a non-deterministic world. It reminds me of [any story involving time reversal and a character unaffected by the event]. This… often creates enemies rather than allies, so players should not rely on save options to continue “safe routes” because the routes are “unstable”. I will say it again: This is very interesting.

2 Likes

/in

1 Like

Not quite. It looks like I wasn’t specific enough.

Everyone is playing the “same character”, but in a different timeline/paralell universes. We can call them as Protagonist or just simply P, when we are talking about them outside of PMs. (Of course everyone can have different name in their own story, but even if they have different names, they are actually the same person, whose power is sharing their experience with their other selves.)

You can save multiple times, but once you save, you cannot go back to previous saves. (You can have only one active save.)

It’s already in the OP.

1 Like

Depends.

It will be never less than 48 hours.
But it can be longer, if someone has reasons to skip sometimes. (It will affect other players less here, than in other games.)

I would say a week is the most I can tolerate.

2 Likes

We are playing the protagonist in alternative universes?

Hope we can merge

*"Murasakiiro no Qualia" flashbacks*
blob_sleepless

Very well. I understand.

I see… and given the non-deterministic nature of the world itself, the players have to choose wisely when to save. Too early, and they might never return to a scenario they are familiar with. Too late, and they might get stuck in an irreversible unfavorable situation.
(So basically “A Dating Sim of Life or Death”.)

Zone is an anime nerd and that’s wholesome

These aren’t anime; they are manga.
In non-weeb words: They are not animations; they are comics.

Zone is an enjoyer of artistic creations from Japan and that’s wholesome

3 Likes

48 hours should be more than enough

/in

2 Likes

Cool game idea. And Zone’s commentary makes it sound even cooler. :ayaya:

3 Likes

Count me /in. Sounds interesting. What species/gender is the protagonist, or do we get to choose that for ourself what our version is?

1 Like

You can choose gender.

The Protagonist starts as a human, but nothing else is determined, so keep that in mind if you want describe yourself.

1 Like