SCP FM (18/18) - Filled

bastard games are the single least fun games, according to my definition of bastard
if players dont have a decent expectation of how the game might work, all the fun stuff about your definition of bastard breaks
if you have fake flips in-game, and you announce fake flips are present in signups, then according to my definitions thats very much non-standard but its not bastard

this is less of a “youre wrong” thing and more of a “this is how I think I would define it” thing

2 Likes

so bastard to you just refers whether or not flips are tampered

/uninformed

thats basically the opposite of what i said lul

if you run a setup with non-standard elements that severely change how the game should be played and no warning that they are present, that is what I think of as bastard

if you run a game and send everyone but 3 town masons lost wolf rolecards, that’s bastard as hell even with no explicit host lies
unannounced game-ending jesters or otherwise extremely punishing jesters are bastard. if they’re announced then the game can be fun still, but players have to know what theyre signing up for
fake flips fall into this “non-standard elements that change gameplay drastically” category

1 Like

So as long as it’s announced it could exist its not bastard

2 Likes

hard to say what bastard really is

the general rule of thumb for it is “extremely wacky and game changing stuff that no one could anticipate”

But you could also make the argument for example that a Voteless role is bastard. (Imo it’s not, it’s just… not fun :wowee:)

4 Likes

i trust the setup to be decent and all, but I always hesitate to join games advertised as bastard without knowing which bastard elements are in play
and this isn’t on the hosts at all, that’s just the site culture that has developed around the word “bastard”

like, are there fake flips in this setup? fake rolecards? can I go into it just playing as if it were a normal game, and the bastard elements are role-limited and I’ll know about them if I have to care?
i dont really like signing up for a game without knowing what I’m getting into
this is where hosting meta comes into play too, because when astand says “a little bastard,” he has demonstrated what it means with his previous setups

nothing bad on the hosts, just some ramble thoughts about the word

2 Likes

/uninformed

1 Like

Oops…

Here, I agree that voteless is not bastard
since the existence of one voteless player (especially a voteless villager) doesn’t impact the game drastically, and not in ways that are unexpected for the players it impacts
its just like, one of the most anti-fun roles in existence

so basically what you said
nya

Have fun
/spec

2 Likes

BOTC

BOTC is not bastard imo entirely because it’s semi-open and everybody knows exactly which non-standard mechanics to expect

2 Likes

actually i take that back
atheist games can be bastard as all hell

I mean.

It’s semi-bastard

similarly amnesiac design space is technically bastard
you just trust your st not to give you the ability “each night, choose a player: their team loses”

1 Like

Thanks for the idea I will use this in Ultra Fish Bucket alongside Siren

3 Likes

Ngl, I thought the nation of Italy disappeared off the map.
:flushed:

Haha…

…Haha…oops

5 Likes

is it bad I can’t tell you’re joking

1 Like