Serpent and the Swordsman - Day 4 [6/15]

For people who wish to use clocktower.online to take notes, you can use the following script json.
https://www.bloodstar.xyz/p/Nightingale/Withering_Roses_Plus_Official_Art/script.json?5c7fbe4a

“At last, after a lifetime of rotting away in that prison… I will finally be free from these chains.”

5 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 9 minutes.

First

11:25 AM, Palace Blackrose — Basement Floor

Phebe leaned against the wooden back of the cramped space inside her cleaning cart with a sigh. The jachelim was stored in a high security vault that not even Cecilia had access to. Calm your nerves, Phebe. Nothing’s gone unexpectedly yet. Though Cee didn’t have access to the room itself, she did have access to her father. The Duke didn’t trust anybody but himself with the magical alarm, and with the ring in Cecilia’s possession, she’d be able to slip in and out without alerting anyone, at least long enough to be able to report the enchantments and security surrounding the gem itself. Her job was just to covertly deal with the guards and the vault lock. Shouldn’t be too hard, she’s worked with her fair share of both humans and machinery before: it was just the defensive magic she couldn’t wrap her head around.
She realised her fists were clenched clutching the dress she was wearing. Taking deep breaths, she tried to relax. She hated dresses, they were inconvenient for all sorts of moving around. But mobility wasn’t incredibly important for this mission: it focused around being unsuspected, not unseen. Camelia got her a maid’s dress from the palace, but at least she had modified it so the unwieldy skirt part could be torn off if she needed to move fast. That made her more comfortable.
She felt the cart come to a smooth halt. Camelia should’ve called for service in the library, leaving the maid to stop the cart right around the corner from the vault doors. She could hear the footsteps of two guards milling around, as well as the voices of the conversation they were having through the curtain that separated her hiding spot from the outside world. She probably had fifteen minutes from this point to get in and back out to the cart once the servant was done getting some books for Camelia scattered across the highest shelves.
Well, here goes nothing.
She peered out of the curtain. Nobody was there. She swung out of the cart and hopped behind it. With a deep breath, she pushed the cart around the corner. With newfound confidence, she left her cart near the corner and approached the door where the guards were.
“Sorry miss, you can’t be here. This door is off limits.”
“My apologies, sir. Duke Blackrose… he asked me to polish the pearl inlay on the door… but if I can’t then…” That night. The night she found her parents dead and her house on fire. The night that ruined her life. Her memories of it couldn’t have been more vivid. As she saw her mom’s lifeless body on the wooden floor, bleeding uncontrollably out of her neck, hugging her body, feeling it slowly go cold…
She suddenly felt a pat on her shoulder. She was on her knees, sobbing. She flinched away from the touch before looking up and to see the other guard.
“Hey, it’s okay. I know the Duke can be a hard master. You know what, you can polish the door, but we’ll watch you, okay?”
She nodded, still wiping away her tears. Slowly, she stood up, grabbed her polishing and cleaning equipment, and began to work on the door from the top to the bottom.

The work gave her a lot of time to feel out the interior of the lock, while the guards were glanced away. It was pretty good work, but it wasn’t top-of-the-line. She could tell that most of the actual heft of the door’s security was in supporting the magical locks and alarms, which were being disabled by Cecilia. While the guards were chatting, she slowly set the discs that held the lock together into position, until at last the lock gave a soft click. She turned it slightly to keep it open, then finished her polishing work. At least Duke Blackrose would have a very shiny door by the time she was done.
When she was almost done polishing, she heard a yelp and a crash from the library. That was Camelia’s distraction. The guards rushed instinctively towards the library, and when they turned their backs she opened the lock fully and slipped in. The other maid would have taken her cart away, so the guards would assume that she just finished and left while they were gone. Normally only one would’ve gone, but Camelia started fawning on the specific guards that helped her out when she was hurt… she was always the crafty one. She was glad she only needed to just do her job.
As she entered the room, she heard the lock slide into place again. She’d have to pick the lock open from the other side when she wanted to leave, but that wouldn’t be too hard, now that nobody was watching her do it. She moved her eyes off the door and took in the size of the vault. It was larger than she expected, with faint irregularly-placed glowing gems on the ceiling illuminating it a cozy navy color, much like the midnight sky. In the center was what she was here for, a pink glowing thing sitting on a velvet cushion inside a frosted glass case. She cautiously stepped towards the gem: all she needed to do was examine the defence mechanisms and get out while the guards were still distracted.

The air around the case felt shockingly cold, which explained why the ice crystals started forming on it. Examining it, she found a lock and basic alarm sigil binding the case to the pedestal it stood on. Renee would know how to deal with that; she needed to see inside to make sure there was nothing unexpected in there that would ruin them. She saw no alarms on the glass face itself, so she grabbed her handkerchief and reached up to start rubbing the frost off the glass: everything should be frosted up again by the time Duke Blackrose went back in to check on it. Once she made a nice circle, she looked inside and to see a brilliantly refractive gem, glowing with a soft pink light, with a purple thing swirling around on the inside… she stood still transfixed by its glow.
She was snapped out of her trance by a blinding flash and a head-splitting ringing noise. When her vision cleared, she saw the walls covered in eyes, gazing at her, immobilizing her. She knew she had to move to the exit, but her legs wouldn’t obey. Slowly, the noise grew to an unbearable crescendo, blurring her vision. The last thing she felt before everything fading to black was her head hitting the hard ceramic floor.

Day 1 begins.

It will end in 48 hours at 2023-12-14T22:00:00Z.

Pings
2 Likes

Now i am first

first

will be done shortly i was busy writing the flavor

2 Likes

Power to you

Hello!

Litten have you check breaches for this game

I look forward to learning those who dare to oppose me.
And I’m glad to see I have a guard, even if he has questionable methods.

1 Like

Litten isn’t in the game. Although, I do have a way of knowing which devices are currently logged onto the account.

litten devolved from a cat to a fox

1 Like

they can never say nya now

Are you confident

Litten. Litten. Litten