Weekly Monday Discussion #6 - Computers

and yes i realize programs like this (probably) don’t exist rn so im arguing against something that isn’t even relevant in this exact moment, but i do expect that if we allow tools then things like that are bound to be made and used in the future unless we address it now

1 Like

I’m neutral on whether scheduling posts should be allowed; they’re not that useful except for posting at sod when one is asleep (which isn’t very important). (or as Hippo mentioned, they could be used to instantly ITA at the start of a window, which is a bit sus yeah)

I agree having a program read thread and listen for certain content/people to post should probably be disallowed.

(more thoughts soontm)

1 Like

THESE POSTS HAVE BEEN AUTOMATICALLY SYNTHESISED BY MY NEW PROGRAM “Post Alchemy”:

Using the page source to determine exactly how many milliseconds from Monday this discussion was posted

3 Likes

this was not that recent tho thbthbthtbhtbhtbthb

You can see why I draw a parallel to player meta, which is already exactly that lol

1 Like

I’ve been using the raw text pages which only have the second
I’ll try to find the millisecond info tho

1 Like

As for other tools (searching / multi-iso / vote compilation / post delay graphing / read storage etc), I think they’re fine to use.

I don’t like the idea of creating a suite of tools that only I have access to, as that feels kinda unfair, which is why I have released multi-iso and vote compilation, and plan to release post delay graphing and read storage once I polish it enough.

That being said, I think requiring tools to be released for use during games is probably bad - I wouldn’t want to release work-in-progress untested code, and games are a good way to test ease of use, and find any edge cases I wouldn’t otherwise have thought of.

“Post Alchemy” update: okay apparently I would’ve gotten kind of close if I’d actually automated this but it has that wretched insidious ChatGPT tone to it

2 Likes

IDK if this was thought of due to the fact I can often find posts in seconds, but no I haven’t been making such a tool, I just can often remember a specific phrase to search for. Though that’s a good idea and I should probably write it…

it’s just unix epoch

1 Like

oh cool

also IDK if you heard this but the raw text pages occasionally have incorrect timestamps (not sure if the same error happens to normal timestamps)

(I know some of the raw text timestamps are wrong because they go backwards)

1 Like

example

1 Like

link me to those posts?

yeah the timestamp on may’s post is wrong

this is very likely because it was edited?

1 Like

fundementally I think it runs into “what is mafia” - if the community considers that research & data compliation skills are part of mafia and not just analysis of said data then ban computerized tools
I’m seeing a slippery slope of where it could get to a point that programs can compile & process so much data that it’s physically impossible for a human to do the same task by EoD deadlines

4 Likes

really the problem is that not everyone has access to those types of programs, or rather not everyone has the skillset to create those types of programs
we agree that if people are on equal footing (like everyone having access to discourse ISOs or whatever) then it’s fair
so I suppose if you force developers to disclose source code of programs if they’re going to use them in game that’s fine, but also mehhhh

tbh this type of thing should be kept within a special game category, that expressly allows the use of a computerised tools to assist in playing mafia

2 Likes

yeah tbh the easiest (and most tempting) option is to just ban outside programs and only allow those that are part of the site

on that note we could try to get a multi-iso plugin so that everyone has access to it, but there are some annoying factors that go into getting new custom plugins as well lol

(for clarity the most annoying factor is that we’d have to update to the newest Discourse version, which is VERY ugly and also very stupid

i swear every time they update the software just gets more complicated and stupid looking)

1 Like

Why? This expressly starts introducing programming skills into mafia. Mafia is not intended to measure programming skills.

2 Likes

oh that would explain it
and yeah that makes the timestamps match

1 Like