BOTF XI: Archives of Insanity (CANNED)

The floor creaks as people walk down the dim corridors of the archives, its decrepit floors littered with files upon files of strange and unusual statements. Assistants sent to fetch a statement cough as years of accumulated dust is stirred up for the first time in months, maybe even years. Various researchers meander the halls, hoping to find some answers amidst the chaos. Although the archives are quiet, no one can quite shake the feeling that someone is watching them…

The shadows are still, but something hidden within them seems to be moving just out of eyesight. People glance around surreptitiously, looking for anyone who may be spying on their actions. Beings that blur the line between human and monster hide amongst the staff, quietly plotting their rituals. As the divide between realities grows weaker, the members of the archives scramble to find the traitors in their midst before it is too late.

It is now time to step inside the…

_meta

Credits to Soup for flavor

Welcome to the 11th Blood On The Forums game, hosted by me. This is the first ever BOTF on the new forums after old site went down… so… idk?

This BOTF features a homebrew script created by Soup#1966 on discord and credits belong to him. This is not my script and this script features complete homebrew characters.

Character List

Townsfolk
Receptionist: You start knowing a character of each type (excluding Travellers), exactly 2 of which are in play. If you are insane, instead they are all not-in-play.
Detective: You start knowing an in-play Minion. If you die at night, you learn an in-play Demon.
Scholar: Each night, you may choose a player: you learn their alignment & a player becomes insane.
Ghost Hunter: Each night, you learn how many insane players neighbor an evil player.
Archivist: Each night, choose a character (not your own): if in-play, you learn it is 1 of 3 players; otherwise information is arbitrary tonight.
Researcher: Each night, you learn the character type of a living neighbor.
Astrologist: Each night, you learn 3 players that are not all the same alignment.
Numerologist: Each night, you learn how many pairs of insane players there are. You can not receive false information via insanity.
Conservator: Each night, your good living neighbors become sane & you learn if you changed anyone’s sanity.
Psychologist: Each night, choose 2 players: if both good, they are both sane.
Assistant: Once per game, at night, choose a player: they become sane, receive true information tonight & learn they were chosen.
Analyst: Once per game, at night, you may choose to learn all insane players. A player might register falsely to you.
Oneirocritic: If you die at night, the following day, you may visit the Storyteller to learn 2 true facts.

Outsiders
Befuddled: While you live, your sanity might register falsely. If you die, your neighbors’ sanity might register falsely.
Obsessed: A Townsfolk is insane & can not be made sane. If they die, you learn their character.
Sacrifice: If you die, a player’s sanity changes.
Architect: When you die, tonight, the Demon may choose a player & a non-Demon character: if not-in-play, they become that character.

Minions
Avatar: If the Demon dies to their own ability, you become the Demon. You might register as good & as a Townsfolk or Outsider.
Ritualist: If an evil player is nominated, the nominator becomes insane.
Bookbinder: If an Outsider dies, their Townsfolk neighbors’ sanities change. [+1 Outsider]
Corruptor: Your Townsfolk neighbors are insane & cannot be sane.

Demons
Eye: Each night*, choose a player: they die. On your first night, you see the Grimoire & choose a player: they are insane. [-1 Outsider]
Spiral: Each night*, choose a player: they die. Insane players’ abilities yield true information. Sane players’ abilities yield false information.
Web: Each night*, choose a player: they die. Each night, a player becomes sane & a player becomes insane.
Buried: Each night*, choose a player: they die & one of their Townsfolk neighbors becomes insane. [+1 Outsider]

Travelers

Travelers are special and powerful characters with different rules than normal citizens.

1. Traveler characters are publicly known. If a player joins the game as the Podcaster, everyone knows that they are the Podcaster.
  2. Traveler alignments are unknown. Because Traveler characters are known, the question regarding them becomes which side they’re playing for. Travelers are more likely to be good than evil; general practice is that one in three Travelers is evil, but it is possible for there to be only one Traveler in a game and that Traveler to be evil. Evil Travelers will be told who the Demon is when they enter play; Good Travelers will be told nothing. The Demon and Minions will not be told if a Traveler is good or evil.
  3. Traveler players may join or leave the game at any time. This game is designed for live play, and the Travelers are designed to accommodate players who arrive late or must leave early. If you would like to play, but cannot join at game start or do not think that you can stay around for the end of the game, then you may consider playing as a Traveler character instead of a normal citizen. Traveler characters won’t be allowed to sub out or leave unless forcibly exiled or if there’s a very serious IRL situation.
  4. Travelers with a night ability act before any citizens. Their abilities will be resolved absolutely first.
  5. Travelers are not executed; they are exiled. An exile is different from an execution in a few key ways.
  • An exile is not considered an execution, meaning that a game can see the exile of a Traveler and an execution in the same day.
  • An exile is not affected by any abilities affecting nomination, voting or execution.
  • An exile may be called for at any time, by anyone, even if that player is presently unable to nominate, and a player who calls for the exile of a Traveler may still nominate if they have not already.
  • Dead players may vote on the exile of a Traveler, and they do not spend their ghost vote to do so.
  • And finally, a simple majority vote is all that is required to exile a Traveler.
Traveler Characters

There are only 2 Travelers.

Curator: Each night, choose a player: if they agree, you learn if they are sane, but their sanity might change
Podcaster: Each day, the Storyteller publicly makes a statement. When you are exiled, that night you learn how many were true.

Town Composition

This game is designed for a variable number of players, and thus the composition of the game is able to change depending on how many players join. The following list denotes the composition of the game at each possible player count.

Total Players: Townsfolk/Outsiders/Minions/Demons

5: 3/0/1/1
6: 3/1/1/1
7: 5/0/1/1
8: 5/1/1/1
9: 5/2/1/1
10: 7/0/2/1
11: 7/1/2/1
12: 7/2/2/1
13: 9/0/3/1
14: 9/1/3/1
15: 9/2/3/1

Every character in-game is unique in that more than one of the same character will never appear at the start of the game.

Phase Lengths

Each day phase will last for no longer than 48 hours.

12 hours: Discussion phase. Nominations may not be cast at this time.
24 hours: Nomination phase. Players who wish to nominate may do so at this time, and votes may begun to be cast during this time as well.
12 hours: Vote finalization. During this time, votes may be cast freely on any existing nomination, but no new nominations may be made. Once this time ends or all votes have been locked in, the day will resolve.

The night phase will last for 24 hours, or until all abilities have been performed and resolved.

Storyteller

The Storyteller is the key moderator for the game; All ability uses at night must be sent to the Storyteller via private message, and Storyteller will have the final say on any open-ended ability behaviors. Storyteller’s goal is to keep the game both fun and balanced, and they’ll often be trying to make it last as long as possible; however, the Storyteller may not alter any existing rules to accomplish this.
Also, the thing the Storyteller uses to keep track of things is called the Grimoire. It’s basically the spreadsheet.

As a side note: things that are “arbitrary” are also decided by the Storyteller. This means that they can decide what happens for whatever thing is “arbitrary.”

Fableds

The Fabled aren’t really characters so much as special modifiers that the Storyteller can put in play to tweak the game. For example, the Angel can be put into play to help keep newer players from being targeted, or the Buddhist can be put into play to keep the more experienced players from dominating the discussion. Fabled will always be announced when they are in play, along with their effect upon gamestate. A breakdown of Fabled characters we may be using can be found below.

Angel* : Something bad might happen to whomever is most responsible for the death of a new player.
Buddhist* : Veteran players may not speak for the first six hours of the day phase.
Hell’s Librarian* : Something bad might happen to whomever speaks when the Storyteller calls for silence.
Fiddler* : Once per game, at night, the Demon secretly chooses a player of an opposing alignment; All players then choose which of these two wins the game.
Deus Ex Fiasco : Once per game, the storyteller will make a mistake, correct it and publicly admit to it.

With the exception of Deus Ex Fiasco, which is only used if I make a mistake, if you want a Fabled to be in play, privately pm me and I will do so.

Sanity

Sanity is a mechanic unique to this specific script.

Sanity is a state (like being alive or dead), you are either sane or insane.

While sane, everything is normal.
However, while insane, a player’s ability will always cause them to receive false information.

A player stays sane/insane forever unless their sanity is changed. All players start sane.

This is very similar to drunkenness and poisoning, with some exceptions.

Registration

Registration causes a player to “appear” a certain way to other abilities and will cause them interact as if they were this thing. For example, if player A who is a Minion registers as a Townsfolk, and player B’s ability was “you learn if someone is a Townsfolk”, player A would see player B as a Townsfolk and not a Minion.

Nomination and Voting

Voting in this game works a little differently. After the formal discussion phase has ended, the Storyteller will declare that nominations are opened. A player must be nominated before they can be voted on. Each player may only be nominated once per day, and each player may only nominate once per day. When a nomination is opened, the storyteller will begin to count votes. Votes may be precast, and may be altered so long as they are considered not to be locked in. A vote is locked in when everyone between the accused and the voter (going down the list from the accused) has locked in their vote, or once the day ends, assuming that not all votes on the nomination have been cast. Any votes that are not counted at EoD will be considered votes to pardon. If the count of votes to execute is more than half of the number of living players, and is the highest count of votes against any player that day, the accused will be considered “about to die”. At the end of the day or when all votes on all nominations have been cast, the player who is “about to die” will be executed. There isn’t such a thing as a quickhammer around here; we’re a little more careful with what we do.

Whispers (Similar to BOTFX)

Players may whisper each other in-game through private messages. Whispers must, however, be publicly announced, typically by requesting permission to whisper (a standard format is /whisper [Player]). Once a whisper has been declared and accepted, the two players may whisper via private message until one of them speaks publicly in the game chat, at which point the whisper is considered over and the players must declare whispers again if they wish to whisper publicly.

Additionally, you may send up to 15 words to your neighbors without having to announce a whisper.

Death

When a player dies, nothing is revealed about their character and they are allowed to stay in the game and speak. They may not nominate and they will have only one vote token (this will allow them to cast a vote to execute) for the entire game. Evil players who die may thus continue to help their allies by keeping up their claim and spreading misinformation, and good players may similarly help their allies by retaining relevant info that others may have forgotten in the heat of things. Once a player dies, their ability stops working, which means that a player killed before they would perform their ability will not perform their ability, and any ability with a persistent effect will end upon the player’s death.

Victory

Good wins by eliminating all Demons (you don’t need to kill Minions to win). Evil wins by reducing the game to two living players (even if both players are good). The Storyteller may also declare a victory for Evil if Good may no longer possibly win (for example, if only evil players are left alive and thus no one would nominate the Demon). Certain character abilities may present alternate routes to victory; these classes, if able to appear, will be made known on the character list. In the event of a tie (both teams would win at the same time), Good wins.

I will only allow Travelers once we have 7 or more players.

Playerlist (when you /in, pick a seat):

1. Night
  2. Magnus
  3. Crich
  4. Whysper
  5. Atlas

Backups

Specs

1. Eli (Informed)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me anything.

1 Like

/in multitabing is a great idea what do you mean

2 Likes

i am not going to look at the character list this time because last time i did it scarred me for life with the amount of times i had to look at the word insanity

Pick a seat

on the table

/in seat 13

Still on break from FM games, but this is a Misc, so I’ll help fill this up. Plus CRichard keeps asking me whether I’m going to join the next BotF and I’ve been saying yeah probably, so I guess I better now. :slight_smile:

My schedule is a bit iffy recently, so not exactly sure how much I can put into this, but I’ll try.

3 Likes

this is a fm game wearing a trenchcoat that says “misc”

2 Likes

This misc is using Nord VPN, which helps it disguise itself as a misc while pretending to be a Fm game.

3 Likes

get your free trial for like uhh

20 cents for 3 months when you use my code uh

Haha yeah, I know. In many ways it is basically FM, and I often think of it that way. But going to pretend it is just a Misc this time. :slight_smile:

Granted it would be nice if misc got subcategories like how FM games have like closed setups and role madness stuff but weh

1 Like

You should start a tag for botf at least. Maybe there will be other tags later.

Well I mean.

It depends how popular BOTF is I guess.

We have 10 of these so far, but it’s been over the span of like 3 years or something.

Oh well.

It’s getting late.

Imma go

Well, it is pretty much considered one of the standard Misc games here, so I would think it deserves a tag. :slight_smile:

isn’t it like it refreshes every year

Wait actually. Before I leave, imma leave a random BOTC character with 0 context at all.

you just

gave us context