BOTF XXV: Extension Cord Game Over

Welcome to BOTF XXV: Extension Cord

This is a No-Dashii script with the Marionette as the extension of the No-Dashii’s poisonous tentacles. The Good team has to figure out who is being poisoned by the No-Dashii to figure out who is the Demon. The evil team must prevent this from happening. Note: This is Christmas themed.

Storytold by @CRichardFortressLies and @snowe

Credit goes to Viva La Sam as the author of this script.

The Global and Forum rules apply to this game, and will be enforced if necessary.

Mechanics

Town Composition

This game is designed for between 5 and 15 non-Traveller players. All non-Traveller players are assigned one of the 4 character types, then an character from the possible characters for that type. Players that start as Townsfolk or Outsiders are on the Good team, while players that start as Minions or Demons are on the Evil team. Players cannot change alignments unless explicitly stated.

The number of characters of each type dealt out are as follows:

Total Players Townsfolk Outsiders Minions Demons
5 3 0 1 1
6 3 1 1 1
7 5 0 1 1
8 5 1 1 1
9 5 2 1 1
10 7 0 2 1
11 7 1 2 1
12 7 2 2 1
13 9 0 3 1
14 9 1 3 1
15 9 2 3 1

No two players will have the same ability at the start of the game.

Starting Evils know each other’s identities and character types,
The abilities of certain characters modify the game setup, by adding or subtracting certain characters or character types. These are denoted in [square brackets], and only have an effect if the character is present at the beginning of the game. Unless otherwise stated, the amount of Townsfolk is modified so that the total number of characters given out matches the total player count. The Huntsman, if in setup, will either convert a townsfolk into the Damsel, or straight add in the Damsel.

Characters

All players start with exactly one of the following abilities, depending on their character type. Townsfolk and Outsiders are good characters, while Minions and Demons are evil characters.

Night* (with an asterisk) in all contexts means “Night, except the first.”
**-Ability must be claimed to have an effect on the game state.

Possible Townsfolk Characters
Investigator You start knowing one of two players is a particular minion.
Pixie You start knowing 1 in-play townsfolk. If you were mad that you were this character, you gain their ability when they die.
Empath Each night, you learn how many of your 2 alive neighbours are evil.
Dreamer Each night, choose a player (not yourself or travellers): you learn 1 good and 1 evil character, one of which is correct.
Mathematician Each night, you learn how many players’ abilities worked abnormally (since dawn) due to another characters’ ability.
Oracle Each night*, you learn how many dead players are evil.
Monk Each night*, choose a player (not yourself): they are safe from the Demon tonight
Artist Once per game, during the day, privately ask the storyteller any yes/no question
Fisherman Once per game, during the day, privately ask the storyteller for some advice to help your team win
Huntsman Once per game, at night, choose a living player: the Damsel if chosen, becomes a not-in-play Townsfolk [+Damsel]
Soldier You are safe from the Demon.
Ravenkeeper If you die at night, you are woken to choose a player: you learn their character.
Cannibal You have the ability of the recently killed executee. If they are evil, you are poisoned until a good-aligned player dies by execution
Possible Outsider Characters
Puzzlemaster 1 player malfunctions, even if you die. If you guess (once) who it is, learn the Demon player, but guess wrong & get false info
Recluse You might register as evil & as a Minion or Demon, even if dead.
Mutant If you are “mad” about being an Outsider, you might be executed.
Damsel All Minions know you are in play. If a Minion publicly guesses you (once), your team loses
Barber If you died today or tonight, the Demon may choose two players (not another Demon) to swap characters
Possible Minion Characters
Poisoner Each night, choose a player, they malfunction tonight and tomorrow day.
Spy Each night, you see the Grimoire. You might register as good & as a Townsfolk or Outsider, even if dead.
Scarlet Woman If there are 5 or more players alive & the Demon dies, you become the Demon (Travellers don’t count).
Boomdandy If you are executed, all but 3 players die. 12 hours later, the player with the most players pointing at them, dies
Marionette You think you are a good character, but you are not. The Demon knows who you are. [You neighbour the Demon]
Possible Demon Characters
No-Dashii Each night*, choose a player, they die. Your two townsfolk neighbours malfunction.
Phase Lengths

Each day phase will last for 48 hours.

Discussion 12h Players may talk.
Nomination and Voting 36h Players who wish to nominate may do so at this time, and votes may begun to be cast during this time as well.

Each night phase will last for 24 hours. The game begins on a night phase.
Night actions are locked 2 hours before the start of each day.

Night Action Resolution

All actions are processed in a specific order each night. Natural Action Resolution does not apply. Dead players have no abilities (unless stated otherwise), and if a player is dead during their turn in action resolution, they do not act (unless stated otherwise).

First Night Other Nights
Minion info Pixie
Demon info and bluffs Poisoner
Marionette Monk
Poisoner Scarlet Woman
Pixie No-Dashii
Huntsman Barber
Damsel Huntsman
Investigator Damsel
Empath Ravenkeeper
Dreamer Empath
Spy Dreamer
Mathematician Oracle
Spy
Mathematician
Storyteller

The Storyteller is the key moderator for the game; All ability uses at night must be sent to the Storyteller via private message, and Storyteller will have the final say on any open-ended ability behaviors. The Storyteller’s goal is to keep the game both fun and balanced, and they’ll often be trying to make it last as long as possible; however, the Storyteller may not alter any existing rules to accomplish this.

The Fabled

The Fabled are special modifiers that the Storyteller can put in play to tweak the game. Fabled will always be announced when they are in play, along with their effect upon the gamestate. The most likely fabled to be included are the Hell’s Librarian to prevent night talking, the Djinn to indicate there are characters jinxed with each other, the Sentinel to obscure the outsider count and the the Fiddler on the off-chance the game gets deadlocked

Fiddler Once per game, at night, the Demon secretly chooses a player of an opposing alignment; All players then vote which of these two wins the game.
Hell’s Librarian Something bad might happen to whomever speaks when the Storyteller calls for silence.
Djinn Use the Djinn’s special rule. All players know what it is.
Sentinel There might be 1 fewer or 1 extra outsider in play. [-1, 0, +1 outsider]
Malfunctions

Malfunctioning is the primary source of interference with abilities. A malfunctioning character is not told that they are malfunctioning and cannot affect the gamestate in any way using their ability. If a malfunctioning character would receive information, then the information they receive is arbitrary (open-ended, Storyteller may resolve at their discretion). The malfunctioning status lasts indefinitely unless stated otherwise.

Nominations and Voting

Once the discussion phase has ended, the Storyteller will formally announce the opening of the nomination phase. Players must be nominated before they may be voted on that day. Each player may only be nominated once per day, and each player may only nominate once per day.
Whoever is 1st to vote on a player, will be the nominator. e.g A votes B 1st will be announced as A has nominated B. If a player has at least half of the living players voting them, they are on the block and if not overtaken will be executed and will die.
If the Bishop is in play. Snowe or I will make a 1st vote to signal a player has been nominated. This vote won’t count towards the number of votes required for execution.

Whispers

Players may whisper each other in-game through private messages (including both this account and the hosts @CRichardFortressLies and @snowe ). Whispers must be publicly announced, by requesting permission to whisper using a format such as /whisper [Player]. Once a whisper has been declared and accepted, the two players may whisper via private message until one of them speaks publicly in the game chat, at which point the whisper is considered broken and the players must declare whispers again if they wish to whisper.
Whispers are allowed for the 1st 24 hours of the day, and are unlimited for each player.

In addition, a player may make 1 whisper per day to each neighbour of up to 10 words without announcing this in thread.

Some abilities require you to speak privately to the Storyteller during the day. If you wish to do this, you must declare so publicly using a format such as /whisper [Storyteller]. You may choose to declare this even if you do not have one of these abilities.

If there is a Matron in play, players can only whisper their neighbors on the grimoire. This restriction applies even if one or both of their neighbors are dead. As compensation for only being able to whisper neighbours, whispers are unlimited until the last 24 hours of the day.

Death

When a player dies, nothing is revealed about their character and they are allowed to stay in the game and speak. They may not nominate and they will have only one vote token (this will allow them to cast a vote to execute) for the entire game. Evil players who die may thus continue to help their allies by keeping up their claim and spreading misinformation, and good players may similarly help their allies by retaining relevant info that others may have forgotten in the heat of the game. Once a player dies, their ability stops working, which means that a player killed before they would perform their ability will not perform their ability, and any ability with a persistent effect will end upon the player’s death.

Victory

Good wins if all Demons are dead.
Evil wins if only 2 players (not counting Travellers) live.

In the event of a tie, the good team wins.
Alternate routes to victory or defeat may exist as detailed by characters’ abilities. The list of all possible characters is above.

Travellers

A Traveller is a player character that can enter or exit a game at any point. Their identity and ability are known to all players, but their alignment may be either good or evil (which is decided by the Storyteller upon their entry to the game).

Unlike standard players, Travellers exist under some special circumstances.

• They may be exiled by majority vote at any time, instead of executed. This vote is independent of the nomination/execution system.
  • If they are evil, they learn who the Demon is.
Possible Traveller Characters
Bishop Only the Storyteller can nominate. At least one opposing player must be nominated today.
Bone Collector Once per game, at night, choose a dead player: they regain their ability until dusk.
Bureaucrat Each night, choose a player (not yourself): their vote counts as 3 votes tomorrow.
Butcher Each day, after the 1st execution, you may nominate again.
Matron Each day, you may choose up to 3 sets of 2 players to swap seats. Players may not leave their seats to talk in private.
Jinxes

If there are characters who have particularly unfavorable interaction with each other, they are said to be jinxed. The Djinn fabled adds rules to make these interactions not as unfavorable if possible.

Damsel and Spy: Only 1 jinxed character can be in play.
Damsel and Marionette: The Marionette does not learn that a Damsel is in play
Huntsman and Marionette: If the Marionette thinks they are the Huntsman, the Damsel was added.

Changelog
  • Formalised Storyteller consults.
  • Added Djinn and jinxes on script.
  • Whisper Private Messages must include both @CRichardFortressLies, @snowe and host account.
  • Added 24 hour unlimited neighbor whispers in case a Matron is in play.
  • Added how nominations are handled with the Bishop in play.
  1. IcetfeelsPain
  2. Dec
  3. Bionic
  4. Kiiruma
  5. Someone
  6. Zone Q_11
  7. Magnus
  8. Litten (Bone Collector)
1 Like

@IcetFeelsPain
@Dec
@Bionic
@Kiiruma
@Someone
@Zone_Q11
@Magnus

Bumping

Night One has started! It will end in 24 hours on 2024-01-14T03:00:00Z

The Djinn and Sentinel are in play. Please refer to the OP on Fabled for info.

This topic was automatically opened after 3 hours.

Good morning town. Snowe and I got killed by a demon. Find them and make them pay for our deaths. The 1st 12 hours are discussion time only, the last 36 hours is nomination and voting phase. Day one has started and ends in 48 hours on 2024-01-16T03:00:00Z

Mass ping for everyone.

IMG_3534 UTY OST - 127 Enemy Retreating IMG_3535

I’d like to apologise in advance, but I’m indisposed with prior engagements this afternoon. Please rest assured that I received a blue token, it’s way too early in the game for me to have learned if I’m the Marionette, and if I intended to play for the evil team… I would’ve won already.

Ominous Hazbin Hotel references aside, here’s what I can give you all now, ahead of time.

We have a confirmed No Dashii, meaning we have two confirmed poisoned Townsfolk. This poison is not obligated to provide a thread of false information for us to track down the No Dashii, because it’s their own ability. A poisoned Townsfolk may receive true information in the case that it would provide more harm than help to the Demon.

I would anticipate the single Minion to be either the Marionette or the Boomdandy, because our Storytellers are fans of novelty and it’s the primary gimmick of the script. With only seven players, a Scarlet Woman is unlikely to process and a jump could be untraceable, while a Poisoner and Spy could render everyone’s information untrustworthy. They could exist, but it would seem like a missed opportunity if they did.

Maybe my friends will travel in and come tell me I’m their Demon.

We’d have no Outsiders for similar reasons, that’s my metaread. If there is one, it’s a Recluse to hide the Marionette.

Marionette sounds super weak for this script though, since its next to the demon and its going to look like its malfunctioning

The Marionette is the Minion with the highest rate of victory, it has a bluff, it thinks it’s a good player, it potentially receives information that seems real or can obstruct the location of the real Demon while having reading socially good, yada yada… if they’re sitting together, the Marionette can be informed at any time, and the evil team could coordinate perfectly at all time…
Everyone underestimates it.

Ah the joys of sentinel.
We might have no outsiders, we might have 1, or even 2 (If huntsman / damsel combo)

And the wonderful Recluse means that you can be marionette’d by anyone, even including people you don’t neighbour. I feel like this script is more interesting at higher player counts but it’s fine at 7 too.

1 Like

If there’s a Damsel, there’s a Marionette rather than a Boomdandy imo. Having a Minion immediately on the lookout for a lying player in a group of six players is unfortunate.
I don’t think the Sentinel would’ve used in favour of letting evil bluff Outsider roles, realistically speaking.

*reads Marionette description*
Does this poison ignore Minions and Outsiders?

Yep. Only Townsfolk are poisoned, living or no.
I’ll be solving the game in whispers in ten minutes or so, can we whisper then?

Sure, but first:
I meant to ask: “If the list is like [Town, Demon, Marionette, Town], would the second Town also be poisoned?”

1 Like

/Whisper Zone.
You’re the only one here. The fact you haven’t whispered me claiming you’re my Demon is also a good sign.

Yes, because the No Dashii’s poisoning ignores the Marionette, who isn’t a Townsfolk even if their token says they are.

@Zone_Q11.
I have particular interest in interrogating my neighbours.

The Soldier is immune to No Dashii poisoning, as is a Monk’s target. Just for the record.

1 Like