Death Note Game Rules (Ported from AnimeBase)

Death Note Game

Transcribed by Osie from the AnimeBase ruleset by Spandi and SK. Originally created by Gamahiro.

Roles in the Games:

Kira Team -

• Kira: Each Night, you may target another player to kill that player in the manner of death of your choice. You may leave notes for the task force that will be displayed when the death is announced. At any time, alive or dead, you may transfer the Death Note to another Kira team member.
  • Mikami: Two to three times per game (chosen by the host), during the Night, you may disguise yourself or another Kira team member as an Officer for that Night.
  • Misa: Once per game, at any time, you may convert a player to the Kira team. This conversion will be announced publicly. Underlined roles cannot be converted.

Either Team -

• Takada: Once per game, during the Voting phase, you may limit the votable players to any two players of your choice.
  • Naomi: Twice per game, during the Night, you may target a player to prevent any actions that player would take that Night.
  • Aiber: Once per game, at any time, you may target another player to permanently hide their role from Shinigami/L and from being revealed upon their death.
  • Wedy: Two or more times per game (chosen by the host), during the Night, you may target a player to silence their voice and vote until the beginning of the next Night phase.

Task Force -

• Officer: You have no abilities other than your vote and your voice.
  • Shinigami: Each Night, you may target another player to learn that player’s role. If you learn of Sayu this way, Kira’s kill is prevented during that Night.
  • Rem: Each Night, you may target another player to protect that player from being killed by Kira. If successful, this will be revealed during the following Day.
  • L Lawliet: Each Night, you may target another player to learn that player’s role. If you target the Shinigami, you die. You know the identity of Watari.
  • Near: Each Night, you may target another player to reveal your identity to that player. If that player is Mello, you may together choose a player to kill.
  • Mello: If you are eliminated, the player who hammered you dies as well.
  • Matt: Two to three times per game (chosen by the host), during the Night, you may target two players to swap any abilities that would target either one of them to the other, and vice-versa. Actions of italicized roles are unaffected by this ability.
  • Watari: Five times per game, any number of times per voting phase, you can remove a vote from a player. You know the identity of L.
  • Chief: Twice per game, during the Voting phase, you may cancel the elimination for that phase. This can only save yourself once.
  • Matsuda: Your vote is worth twice as much. This will not be visible to the players. This may be disabled at any time by the host.
  • Sayu: Two to three times per game (chosen by the host), during the Night, you may target a player to allow that player to use a Night action twice during the next Night phase. If you target a member of the Kira team, you die. You cannot select the same player twice. Your ability has no effect on Kira, Misa, Aiber, or Wedy.

%%%

The Phases:

• Introduction Phase: While the host is sending out roles, players may chat freely. This happens once at the start of the game and is followed by the first Night Phase.
  • Night Phase: Most actions occur during the Night phase. Players may chat freely, but not about player alignments.
  • Day Phase: Discussion occurs during the Day phase.
  • Voting Phase: At the end of each Day phase, players may cast their vote. In XyLO, players may only vote once per Voting Phase.

%%%

Win Conditions:

• Kira Team: You win when the Kira Team has at least as many players as the Task Force.
  • Task Force: You win when there are no living members of the Kira team.

%%%

Other Rules:

• One-on-one PMs are open communication, but must include a host.
  • Claiming is not allowed.
  • Dead players can talk during the Day but cannot hint at who Kira is.
  • Elim None/All On Tie (Chosen by host)

%%%

(Optional) Wedy as Serial Killer Variant:

• SK Wincon - You win when all other players are dead, whether or not you are alive.
  • Wedy has a 1-Shot Killproof that only affects the Death Note.
  • Rem’s protection can block both kills, even if they’re targeting the same person.
  • L and Shinigami get results in the form of Guilty/Innocent.
  • Rem’s protection is not revealed.
  • Team Kira MUST kill off Wedy in order to win.

Figured I’d port this over and gauge interest for playing a game of this format.

Is this just flavour?

1 Like

/in :joy_cat:

1 Like

Kira (Mafia) Alignment:
Kira: Goon + Death Will (passable)
Mikami: Vanilla Disguiser (2+ shots)
Misa: One-time Cultafia.

Uncertain Alignment:
Takada: Gladiator?
Naomi: Roleblocker (2 shots :wine_glass:)
Aiber: Janitor
Wedy: Blackmailer (2+)

Town Alignment:
Officer: Vanilla
Shinigami: Sheriff
Rem: Medic
L. Lawliet: Sheriff + Risky Visitor + Finder
Near: Friendly Neighbor
Mello: Hammer-Vengeful
Matt: Transporter (2x)
Watari: Vote Remover (5x) + Finder
Chief: Pacifist
Matsuda: Anonymous +1 Vote
Sayu: Indecisive Motivator (2+) + “Risky Visitor”

I stood 30 minutes because I forgot the name of the Motivator. Shame on you

This sounds like a lot of fun. I would join this if anyone hosts it or a turbo version of it

2 Likes

You know it kind of sounds like an alternative universe version of BoTF

1 Like

It just needs flashy images and suddenly it’s just like BoTF

this particular point feels arbitrary, unfun, and pointless
setup looks like an interesting as a whole tho nya

1 Like

Yeah I don’t like it either. I feel it’s better if day phase is just plain day phase.

Yeah I agree; I think if you’re gonna go for vote lock, going all the way or not at all seems best.

1 Like

@Silviu200530 @Nightingale Thoughts on XyLO Pure Standard Vote Lock? Or is Vote Lock just generally too unfun? I’ve always had mixed feelings on it but I’ve never felt strongly that it’s offensively unfun once the playerbase is at least on average at an advanced level.

1 Like

You know, if you only make it for execute and lose. People can just simply cast their votes at the end of the day/when they go to sleep.

I’d join it too. Sounds like it.could be fun.

2 Likes