DR6 question mark question mark idea creation

Backstory for Myrrdin (if they choose to be female I’ll use Guanyin from the Journey to the West or Morgan Le Fay, if they choose NB I’ll just have them be a student of Merlin, and we’ll essentially go for the same general idea):

Myrrdin is just Merlin.
Knowing the ultimate fate of King Arthur from the very beginning, Merlin did not stop this from occurring. He knew that such a fate would take place regardless of what had been done. He had trusted in God’s eyes the entire time, and knew that this was the path the future had ordained for Arthur. Even in death, Arthur would fulfill important roles across countless other worlds (this is the DR reference). It is because he had etched his names into the annals of history that he would be able to do such great deeds posthumously.

But Merlin had felt great shame for his actions. Even in knowing that what he had done was right, he had led to the doom of an entire kingdom and a surrogate son of his. After faking his imprisonment through masterful illusionwork, he traveled the earth in pursuit of answers. He encountered the origin of every faith, spoke to every philosopher, and absorbed all that could be learned. He saw great kingdoms rise and fall. He had traveled through time itself to witness the epic history of man. But, of course, he was not to interfere with it. If he had done so, he would have tipped the balance of history and there would be implications lasting forevermore.

Or so he thought.

As it turned out, his presence prevented a single insignificant thing from taking place. What was this thing? It was the death of one man from being mauled during a hunt. A strange causal chain of events took place and what should have been a decidedly normal history was changed forevermore. It started small, then took on a cavalcade of changes that blossomed into the massive power imbalance seen now. Further, he had learned that the discovery of Miring would happen too soon chronologically, which would have caused a rippling effect in others due to the nature of the Mire as beyond time and space. This would destroy Avalon alongside many other of the ‘ethereal realms beyond existence’ throughout mythology that rooted themselves in the Mire.

Fearing that his actions would lead to the permanent death of many whom he cherished, Merlin saw fit to bring this world into that envelope by causing the mire to consume it. This would rather naturally cause a complete collapse of the human order as it turns into the ethereal. All people would still be ‘alive’, but they would live an unnatural existence from which all that came before would mean nothing. There would be no next generation, no change of climate, and no end to an endless day. It would be a paradise much like Avalon, but it would be entirely dissimilar to reality. There is no pain, death, or age.

At some point before the discovery of the Mire-Eye, Merlin visited Odie Smith’s dreams, turning them into a nightmare from which Odie would not wake for 15 hours. Odie was repeatedly confronted with that horrific question which would confound him for the remainder of his life. From this point onward, Merlin would continue to implant dreams sporadically into Odie’s mind so that he would go about creating Yggdrasil as a stabilizer for the Mire on the base.

Merlin would monitor the situation with Odie closely. The one massive wrench thrown in Merlin’s plans was surprisingly by Odie himself with the Killing Game he was planning. Merlin attempted to get his opinion on the matter to shift entirely, which turned out unsuccessful as Odie had become incredibly driven on that front. Merlin saw that he needed a change of plans, so he decided to take several actions to get himself into the ones chosen for the experiment. First, he created an extensive background of crimes that would only be able to be traced when the time was right. Next, he needed to attract the attention of the Court of Potomac with an apparent ‘affinity’ for the Mire. He accomplished this by calling a hit on himself and surviving with the power of illusions on live television during a Christmas parade in London. Finally, the intentionality of the Mire required him to supplant his own personality with that of another, for he well and fully understood that he would need to entire the Mire before activating Yggdrasil and he could not achieve that while holding countless answers to all things within his mind. Upon intentionally not answering a call which would have absolved him of guilt given his connections, he was put arrested then put on trial for suspicion of his involvement in a bombing of the Diet Building in 2073. While he would normally have been executed, his apparent aptitude alongside the experiment would instead see him placed in this program.

Tadaaaaaa

Now we have

• Roots for the Mire: It is inherently mysterious and, should it be understood, it will be harmful for those who enter it
  • A reason for why Odie thought this in the first place and why it stuck with him so much: unheard of tier tormenting nightmare; literal trauma
  • A basic reason for why people are chosen for the program: perceived ‘unnatural aptitudes’ that may lean into the more mythological Mire.
  • What even is the mire: a place beyond time and space that houses several supposed ‘realms beyond the physical plane of existence.’ Doing this grounds the Mire and makes it not some convenient ‘thing’ that shows up. It becomes an interact-able force that further has roots as ‘what Buddhism strives to achieve.’
  • Merlin is canonically a terrorist in this universe

What the fuck is the mire:

A documentary

Basically take every single ‘realm beyond’ and ground them into a ball. Once you do this, pretty much every single ‘weird power’ they have can just be a direct rip or interpretation. It also justifies why it is very dangerous to interact with it with an unknowing hand

I will only have 1 madman in the game

This Madman will be the ‘double Blackened Tribunal’ Madman
The endgame win condition will be some sort of ‘archetype’ win condition where more than half of the players who started the endgame live until the end

We’re going to go for a famed manipulator as the flavor idea

Mastermind will be employed by a foreign organization in order to make sure that the experiment fails at all costs by damaging its credibility
They should also be someone who is without cause in their life
A tool of their time used to break down things

Various archetypes of ‘people who have committed crimes but are still debatably good’

• Person who was once a just upholder of the law and has seen that they cannot accomplish anything without acting extrajudicially
  • ''The Robin Hood"
  • Political Revolutionist

• Jason captain of the Argonauts
  • ‘Wrong place at the wrong time’ person
  • ‘What are rights? They don’t matter in the face of science!’
  • Magnificent Bastard

:gun:

:hmmyes:

Rose Jarvaise, Ultimate Cartographer

STR: Low, CON: Mid-High, AGI: Low, INT: Very High, LUK: Medium

• FALSE-SUN ATLAS (Passive) - You feel a pressing, a longing, a desire, to go higher, higher, higher, to beyond infinity and its' pressing, shifting stars. You do not know why. You do not know how. But above is the past, lying in your heart. Pick it apart like amber to unlock this ability.
  • A Landscape of Steel (Passive) - At the start of the game, you will be informed of many secret passages and quirks of the map.
  • The one who needs to read it. - You may write anything in illegible chicken-scratch, only understandable by you and anyone who you spend 15 minutes explaining your handwriting to.
  • The Compass-Needle Bends (Ultimate) - Tilt the gravity of the killing game by up to 15 degrees in any direction for 15 minutes.

SPECIAL NOTES

False-Sun Atlas Details - This ability does actually do something, it’s not just cryptic flavour text. Here’s the full text of the ability, revealed once this player is Mired

• FALSE-SUN ATLAS (Passive) - You are connected to the Mire like very few are, and are consequently able to navigate it adeptly. Once per game, you may enter the False Sun, and claim that which is inside.

So, what is inside the False Sun? Well…

a fool’s instrument of little consequence (Timeshifted Weapon) - A lance, but less that than a delivered promise. - +40% kill chance. Once per 24 hours, you may attempt to completely upend the structural integrity of the room you’re in or a room adjacent to you. Once per 24 hours, you may choose to turn off gravity for you for a minute.

It’s AREADBHAR!!! This is a callback to DR5 that you don’t necessarily have to get in order for it to be cool, since… look at it. also it never got used and quite frankly that is a tragedy.

as for what the false-sun is… look, this has been sitting in my drafts for about an hour and i’m nervous i’ll just edit it in later

okay so i’ll be honest when i was plotting out the stuff i did so far i made some mistakes but the rest is pretty great so i’ll post what i’ve got for now

this is probably just a first draft anyway

Overall Map

Summary

Module 1

Summary

Module 2

Summary

and also it’s probably bad but whatever, here’s what i’ve got on the map so far

i uh, forgot to label some of the rooms in Module 2! top-left is Costume Cupboard, top-right is Writer’s Room, bottom-left is a safe-room

~ S ~ symbolises a saferoom by the way

Gno et. al, Ultimate Professor

STR: Very Low, CON: Low, AGI: Mid-High, INT: Absurdly High, LUK: Low

Thumb of Nairobi (Passive) - A contact of yours hid several secret devices amongst the various rooms. Each of them will be helpful should you so choose to hack into the machines around the facility.
The Unnamed Man - Target a player. They cannot speak for the next hour. Cannot target the same player during the same 24 hour period. Usable during tribunals.
Cain’s Label - Twice per chapter. Mark a piece of technology (includes things that are purely mechanical) with a brand (see below). When used, it will malfunction and perform the opposite of its intended function before being disabled for the rest of the chapter.
Millenium Project - Dynamics of a Meteor (Ultimate) - SUMMON A METEOR that will target one point on the map. Players will be informed where it will target. After 24 hours, anyone stuck in the blast radius will be killed.

cain’s label:
f3338514242591.562801677c7a4

Warner Oland, Ultimate Baker

STR: Mid-High, CON: Mid, AGI: Mid, INT: High, LUK: High

Sting Operation VerD (Passive) - You can plan out sequences of up to 8 moves with conditionals without losing effectiveness. Wasted actions will still be deducted from your AP.
Baritsu: The Millennium Buster (Passive) - You can perform rapid actions involving your hands, including making use of pressure points in order to damage a player’s internal organs or alternatively heal them. Your chance of success for stealing is tripled while you know your target’s talent and/or true name.
Discombobulate - Target a player. You will increase their vulnerability to any future rolls you make against them for the next 24 hours by 10%. This stacks.
The Worthy’s Masterpiece: Yeast Treatise (Ultimate) - Usable only during deadly life. Leave an accurate bread replica of yourself in the court for the first 24 hours of the Tribunal, while you conduct further investigation.

You are a Madman.

Your win conditions are:

• Be the Blackened for a murder where you are a victim and avoid being chosen during the Tribunal.
  • DISCOVER THE TRUTH, AND EXPOSE THE TRUE CULPRIT.

Zoya Halfbright, Ultimate Assassin

STR: High, CON: Mid, AGI: Low, INT: MId, LUK: Mid-Low

• Hanging Garden (Passive) - In the ceiling above you, hanging invisibly, is a moving thread, light as air, stronger than steel. While following you, it may only be seen by close, deliberate inspection. If it is ripped out of the ceiling by someone else, you will be injured greivously. You call it your Insider, and you may manipulate it with your other abilities.
  • Suspended Death - Choose an item you can see. Your Insider will grasp that item, making it appear to levitate to those who are not directly next to it. You may command the Insider to move the item.
  • Vengance Sought (Ultimate) - Your Insider will become easily visible, and will head towards a player of your choice directly and bind them in midair, then move them to a location of your choice. Only a red blur will be seen in the rooms your Insider passes through, even when they’re holding the target. You may not use both Ultimates in the same chapter.
  • Culling Wind (Ultimate) - Your Insider will become easily visible, and you may grab onto it to rapidly move up to three rooms away and make an attack with a melee weapon with a 100% chance at success. Only a red blur will be seen in the rooms you pass through. You may not use both Ultimates in the same chapter.

this is probably terrible but you know, it’s still ideas phase

you’ve reminded me that Geyde still hasn’t filled in the amazing ultimate :pensive:

discombobulate

anyway yeah i’ve fixed my sleep schedule so guess what i’m back to working on this game

oh nice
I’m currently ill and my sister just came home with covid so I’ve got a bit of time to work on this as well

i did it by remenbering that i actually really like sleeping and just. doing it more.

1 Like