FoL Awards 2023 - Discussion Thread

The role was intended to function as a sort of 1shot ITA doctor for wolves (or rolecop)
But it became so much more

Anyways I VOTED

1 Like

thank you for doing your civic duty :saluting_face:

3 Likes

The special/vanilla game distinction is not all that meaningful. Itā€™s nice to have more awards but it also means it often feels like things are sorted into arbitrary categoriesā€¦ we end up with a lot of categories without many noms (nobody nominated a second special-game scumteam for the award, I couldnā€™t think of any other ones that stood out, but I could think of a bunch of vanilla-game scumteams I wouldā€™ve nominated)ā€¦ what if we grouped game types together and just gave out 2 awards per categoryā€¦

2 Likes

I like choosing between more optionsā€¦ it feels more like supporting a particular option and marking it as exceptional than it does voting For or Against someone. Like I feel so much better voting in polls between 5 choices to honour someone in particular than I do having to go ā€œalright which of you two Doesnā€™t deserve this awardā€. Which is a small mindset thing but in general I think it feels better for both the people voting and the people receiving awardsā€¦ Itā€™s a big part of why I kept trying to encourage nominations, I like more options in the pollsā€¦

2 Likes

I completely agree

In the polls with 4+ options it made me think ā€œwhich one of u deserve this the mostā€

In the polls with 2 options it made me think ā€œwhich one of you shitters i hate lessā€

1 Like

There were also a lot of group town performances that I really wanted to highlight that didnā€™t get noms, which Iā€™m sad aboutā€¦ we had two ~perfect town sweeps, both with only one villager death, early in the year that didnā€™t make the listā€¦ Just about everyone there played excellently and nobody picked up the nom, I think largely because most of the people who saw the performance were, well, in the town itselfā€¦ I was technically a part of both towns (though I think I was one of the worst players in both), so I couldnā€™t nominateā€¦

Itā€™s a difficult problem to fix because self-noms are very awkward, but I think team self-noms are pretty different in vibe from single-player self-nomsā€¦ like Iā€™d happily make that nomination if I could just omit myself and say ā€œbecause I made the nomination I donā€™t get the award, badge, or titleā€ā€¦ might be awkward to implement, given, like, one less person gets the award than if an outsider nominated, but there were an average of 1.5 nominations in the groups categoryā€¦ something to encourage more noms there would be niceā€¦

1 Like

The JK9 the only reason it wasnā€™t a perfect sweep during the days was because D1 both wolves and me piled onto a villager wagon and tied it with the wolf who died the next day, and zero townies died during the night thanks to Elizaā€™s jailkeepingā€¦ I didnā€™t do so well in that game, but it was a very very excellent performance by everybody else, and I wish it got recognition.

In the hydra JOAT10, it was a similar story - I got misexecuted D1, but that night the JOAT shot wolf one wolf and town executed the other unanimously the next day. It wasnā€™t a case of exceptionally bad wolfplay in either of these games - Iā€™ve seen slots like the wolvesā€™ get away with surviving and even endgaming in villages that were less consistently on the ball and good at clearing themselves.

Iā€™m mad nobody picked up on those! I donā€™t want an award for those games! I donā€™t deserve an award for those games! But everybody else very much did and I couldnā€™t do anything to Recognise them it was very sad

1 Like

I hate everyone except me so i voted for the award with my name in it and nothing else

2 Likes

3 Likes

I can send a cat pic for every nom next year

They might be old pics though
But theyā€™re still cats

3 Likes

sure
i voted for tjw because i feel like the flavor tied into and supported the gameā€™s design in a way that made it a lot more memorable than SnS which was just flavor applied onto a normal base game

2 Likes

90% of special games are rolemadness iā€™m pretty sure and there is somewhat of a difference between having to dodge an execution and having to convince 8 different people not to nuke you

2 Likes

Synopsis.

Summary

D1: Achro and Litten are both town and immediately zone onto wolf!Leafia. The game is quiet, having less than seven hundred posts for fifteen players on the first day, and Bean is executed for low activity as a shot in the dark. Achro is killed that night.

D2: Litten starts the day paranoid that good will lose the game because the POE consists of LHF town players and heā€™s the only living person he deems proactive. After a while he wrangled town to execute Leafia, but his associative reads were completely wrong. He miscleared Wiz and tunnelled on the wrong side of his POE, jumping all over the place on town at EOD. Leafia is executed with her dying words mocking the town, and Litten is killed that night.

D3: Garfooled reveals that he failed to protect Litten that night, and abilities in this game were collected in public events. This initiated a mechanical thunderdome between Garfooled and the only eligible strongman killer, Eliza. At this point in time, Eliza was not in prior danger of being executed; it was just an unfortunate mishap. Eliza is closely eliminated, and Kiiruma is killed.

D4: Wiz goes under the radar, and the POE contains enough town players to carry them until the end of the game. Whenever anyone discusses killing Wiz, they bite back and the accuser backs down. Wiz directs a misexecution onto Icet, and no-kills to avoid a roleblock redcheck.

D5: Hazard opens out by suspecting Wiz, but lacks the vigour to push the read while everyone else throws out Creatureā€™s name. Magnus replaces into the game late, taking over a slot in the POE to self-clear before reading other slots in the POE. Magnus townreads Creature, but joined too late in the night to prevent their execution. Hazard is killed in the night, leaving nobody alive who suspects Wiz while numerous town members suspected different players in the POE.

D6: Magnus is tunnelled by Garfooled, and works to defend themselves while clearing Lucifer (the next misexecution that Wiz had lined up). Magnus takes the first half of the day slow to analyse Lemonfairyā€™s slot, effectively resetting the POE, and eventually catches onto their level of purity. At this point, Magnus tunnels Wiz and gets them executed despite the harsh level of pushback from apparently everyone having incorrect scumreads, winning the game.

3 Likes

imo they both have excellent and award worthy flavor BUT tjw is like an entire game based around the flavor as well which is why i voted for it over botf

Both are excellent that one just intrinsically has more flavor

2 Likes

GG for this year i think I got this one in the bag

2 Likes

Removing my votes.

The thing is I highly doubt people are actually going to do their research
Most people are just going to vote whatever game they specced or were in unless thereā€™s a good writeup or someone convinces people to vote there lol. Or people just vote for their friends

If I think of a potential nomination but I think the existing nominations are just better then sometimes I wonā€™t bother
Cuz realistically thereā€™s a lot of crap to filter through and if you have like 10 options on the votes people are less likely to actually inform themselves about each of them

1 Like

i only vote on awards where i have context to all the options

1 Like

eh this isnā€™t really true but i hardly nominate anyone for anything anyway