is forum mafia a dying concept

i expect a low of shitpost responses but this is a serious thought, realistically speaking forums are gonna die out in the next like 10 years, and the amount of players growing up and getting tired of mafia is probably exceeding the amount of newcomers, so i think we are in the last stages of forum mafia, even this forum is somewhat on its last legs and ive seen MU mashes not get as many people as it used to

2 Likes

Increased costs in running a website, social deduction becoming more of a real-time genre and forums themselves becoming a phased out concept are a few reasons why I could think FM could be dying, yeah.

I guess I’m stuck in the past for a couple more years then. FM is not dying for me as long as my stockpile isn’t empty.

I think it’s not dying for a majority of current FM players. But “dying” indicates a decline in players which is certainly present today and has been for the past few years

Awaiting the grand BoTC immigration

Well, Forum Games itself as a genre has been in a dying out situation since a few years ago. (I’m lucky to get 9 people for a btm game anywhere, when 5 years ago it had enough player to fill 2, 17-player game without repeatition)

1 Like

its a dead concept already

1 Like

its ebbing but i strongly doubt it goes away entirely

my hot take would be that discord probably dies before web forums do

3 Likes

I don’t think Forum mafia will ever truly die.

thats an extremely spicy take, i respectfully disagree

1 Like

makes sense, the forum generation already grew out of it

1 Like

i just never got into forum mafia to begin with because my first exposure to even seeing it was on ToS forums and good god that place is toxic

2 Likes

people still play classic world of warcraft 20 years later
i dont think this is going anywhere any time soon
mu mashes still fill just fine, and the 18ers fill like within the day the signups go up :wowee:

3 Likes

i mean obviously its not gonna die out fully, almost nothing does, but the playerbase will likely be very small and very stagnant

1 Like

when did you get exposed to it

Yes.
But it’s more ‘forums / forum games are dying’

You need to get a fuckton of people together
And they all need to be willing to spend a fuckton of time each day focusing on a single game

the logistics are insane
it’s shocking that it’s lived this long

5 Likes

i doubt it, it’s not like a game that gets old after a while
it’s literally just talking to people
that’s about as close as you can get to being evergreen

2 Likes

p much every hobby has this, it’s offset by new people finding time and wanting something to do :wowee:

2 Likes

Classic world of warcraft has things, which forum mafia (and most forum games) doesn’t.:

-You can start playing, when you want. (You need an avalaible game to join to FM, and it is not even starts right when you sign up.)
-You can end playing, when you want. (Your endtime in most of forum games are forced. Either by a host, or other players. We can argue if DVC still counts as “playing the game” but in my opinion it doesn’t. )
-You can play alone.

i feel like none of these things are reasons why people play classic wow
everyone who plays it plays for like 16 hours a day and does nothing but multiplayer content :joy_cat:

2 Likes