Mafia Championship Season 9 - Congrats/Condolences Wind and Marshal!

I go with my gut, the same gut that caught several deep wolves when no one else did, the same gut that was able to find fellow townies good when no one else could, the same gut that could consistently read Alice, and the same gut that is decent at reading people I have no meta on and getting accurate reads. I make mistakes, but I have learned that if I don’t trust my own gut I accidently shoot townies. There have been games in which I trusted a public shotlist and neglected my own gut feelings and guess what, I was right. Some things can’t be explained with “reason”, it just works. You should try trusting intuition more. I really don’t try to have a massive ego, it’s just I want people to recognize my gift

8 Likes
3 Likes

What I’ve learnt here is that you’re all bad at the game of standard mafia yet you think you’re all geniuses who can outsmart the other people at the table. Newsflash: you probably can’t outwit the other people at the table because the other people at the table are also smart.

9 Likes

hi (sorry for scumminess)

1 Like

/decline

I’m flattered that I got nominated, especially when I haven’t played a whole lot of games with you all. However, I’m trying to re-evaluate my relationship with mafia. I love the game to bits, but every time I play in a mafia game, I feel like it takes over my life for the next several weeks, which is pretty unhealthy. IMO, to succeed in champs, you need to have that obsessive drive to win, which is something I don’t really have at the moment.

This is also not the best time for me to commit to (potentially) three very high intensity games over the next couple of months. Hopefully next year my life will be in a better spot.

For the record, I think that all of the players who accepted nominations (Marshal, Arete, Windward) are all very good and would be amazing representatives.

12 Likes

we send wind and hope for the best

nah arete would be a shit nom

2 Likes

as someone who has arguably succeeded in champs i can confirm that this is the case (and really i think any semis player can)

ironically, even in finale games, players who kinda lag behind in postcount and “whats going on”…

still kinda get shrugyeeted sometimes.

i know pilica has 120 posts in this screenshot but basically every phase before this they were a pretty low poster and while i was mafia this game, imo they were super villagery despite the fact they were kinda in perpetual catchup mode for a lot of the game

Summary

i mean hell i could say the same thing happened to soneji, he wasnt around for much of D2 and died for it

like, this part of the invitation is probably an understatement? at least for my season, which people have called a higher-than-average volumed season, maybe you could get a second opinion from @Arete who played in the finale of S7 but both the S7 and S8 finale threads have ~10000 posts total

but i think being able to handle it is still a very important skill, and y’know. the semis/finale are super intensive games. you wanna give em your all.

“luckily”, our site is generally a pretty high volume site, so i expect most people here to be able to handle that pretty well :joy_cat:

but yeah if you’re not sure if you can it’s probably a better idea to play it safe, o7

3 Likes

tbh I think that’s intended specifically and exclusively as a statement about quals and not about semis/finale

and they’re sort of assuming that people who can’t Adjust won’t make it past quals

3 Likes

maybe?

which is kinda rough because some players d not have high volume and are still super good

…like soneji, actually. dude is a sick player and almost never breaks 100 posts a day lol

which is why i was super happy that people wanted to kill him in finale :joy_cat: cuz he was an unideal nightkill target

make champs more lowposter friendly :triumph:

3 Likes

that’s what the postcap is for :^)

the 150 post cap sure does work wonders

5 Likes

the d1 execute (vandyfan402) had almost 3x more posts than the d2 execute (soneji) lol

also 69 posts nice

2 Likes

No comment

1 Like

hornet

kat probably v

1 Like

…miildly villagery nuance

6 Likes

theres a comment i made in wolfchat along the lines of “lets kill hornet so EVERYONE ALIVE is a spamposter”

then we killed hornet and everyone alive was a spamposter

7 Likes

balls of steel

wow this is disgusting i got lucky with a low volume game lmao