Ahoy there! :)
I’m very excited to invite your community to participate in Season 9 of the Mafia Championship.
The Mafia Championship is an annual forum-based tournament series that pits representatives from various online Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and be their “Champion”.
The tournament first started back in 2013. Since then, 320+ different communities and 50+ different nationalities have been represented.
It’s a super fun event that has created many new friendships and close bonds between communities. I hope that you would be interested in taking part :)
- DO YOU ACCEPT THE INVITATION?
If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to Lissa as soon as you can to ensure yourselves a spot. Currently, the plan is to accommodate 135 communities this season. If there is further interest, additional communities may sign up as substitutes; generally there are some replacements needed both before and during games.
If your community agrees to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is April 24th, but the sooner the better.
The games will take place on Mafia Universe. If it’s okay, I can link directly to the general discussion thread regarding this topic on Mafia Universe. Link here.
- You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
- In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
- Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 600-700 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis!
- SEASON 9 FORMAT
The tournament structure
- 135 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
- QUALIFIERS: 9 Qualifier Games will be played, consisting of 15 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifier Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. 1st and 2nd place will advance to the Semifinal Games.
- SEMIFINALS: A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 8 will select 27 additional players to advance to the three Semifinal Games. From each game, five players will advance to the Finale Game based on a post-game player vote, just like in the qualifying phase.
- THE FINALE: The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall receive the title of Season 9 Champion and a winner’s certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff, the creator of mafia.
This year’s setup: Mountainous 15er
The setup features 15 roles consisting of the following:
3x Mafia Goon
12x Vanilla Townie
Relevant mechanics info
Majority elimination is enabled Day 2+, but majority is not required at any point for the elimination.
Tied votes will result in a player being eliminated at random from among the tied players.
No outside communication. I.e. you may not contact the other players outside of the thread (unless you are Mafia and wish to speak with your teammates).
Phase Lengths and Deadlines will be up to the players themselves (I’ll organize your representative into a game with deadlines that suit their preferences).
Thread is locked during Night Phases.
Votes are automatically locked in at LYLO.
Mafia share a factional Night Kill, which is a single standard shot for their faction. The mafia faction kill is mandatory.
Mafia may communicate at any time.
Each individual player may make a maximum of 150 posts per day phase (this restriction is lifted 1 hour before day end).
The game will have a host to oversee everything and make sure everyone’s following the code of conduct, but otherwise the game is completely automated (automatic votecounts, thread locks and reveals alignments automatically, the bot receives and processes actions, etc.).
- SEASON 8 TIMELINE
There will be 9 Qualifier Games, and your representative plays in just one of these. They will have start dates ranging from the end of April to mid-June. So in other words, as long as your representative can play sometime during that period, they should be good and I’ll make sure they get scheduled into a game that suits their schedule well. I.e. if your rep is busy until June, that isn’t a problem.
The Semifinal Games will be played in July/August, and the Finale Game sometime in August/September (whenever we can work out something that suits everyone).
If you want to get in contact with me ASAP, you can find me on Discord (Lissa#8083).
The way we did nominations last season seemed to work pretty well for us, so I’m totally copying it and doing it again!
Please nominate anyone you think would make a good representative below. They must have played at least one game in the past year.
All nominations after 2022-03-19T19:00:00Z will be ignored. After then, the first round of voting will open.