Monster Mistery: Chapter 0: Escape.

Squirrel (Vinny) succesfuly escaped.

2 Likes

Welp. I guess I am the last one now. For real.

By the way @Marluna, would Chapter 1 immediately start after Chapter 0 ends, or will you take some time to work on it?

1 Like

It isn’t on the working table yet.
So I will need time.

Also I want to wait for the reception from the players.

And I will write a summary here.

3 Likes

Y’know, in hindsight this game is probably more of an “Escape World” than an “Escape Room”. The Escape Rooms I know generally have predetermined methods to escape the room, while this game seemingly has more options than just one.

2 Likes

There’s a golden route. If you didn’t save the dog in the forest, you’re going to die to the giant later on.

1 Like

*looks at the characters*
Funny that you mention that.

*suddenly remembers Re:Zero*

really funny that you mention that.

1 Like

“Let’s figure out, whether someone’s future can save your past.”

In hindsight, this is a really odd sentence, because you’d expect the opposite to happen. That is, using someone’s past (i.e. past attempts) to “save” (i.e. improve) your future (i.e. present attempts) is usually more understandable than the original sentence.

Even assuming that the future can affect anything, I would’ve never thought that it would affect the past, because changing the one’s past would consequently change their present.

Players are unaffected by the memory resets that occur after every attempts, so if the aforementioned sentence holds true -which in itself probably violates multiple laws of physics, with the biggest one being travelling to the past- then nobody ought to remember the changes except for the players.

The only way the participants / NPCs would remember is if they too are unaffected by [the change of the past], but how would this happen? Could it even happen in the first place?

Recently I got interested in Laplace’s and Maxwell’s demons and Schrödinger’s cat, so I went to search for other “demons” and found out about RenĂ© Descartes’ demon. Descartes’ demon is a fictional entity that tricks humans into believing that what we see is reality when in actuality it is not. From what I understand, this was also the origin of the quote: “I think therefore I am.”

At one point, I thought: “What if all participants -us players included, in the form of our avatars- are subjects of Descartes’ demon?” Suddenly, everything makes more sense. As subjects of the demon, the souls and/or minds of the participants were put into this false reality that we call a game.

Considering the demon is the god of his own world, this would explain why the participants don’t remember anything after every attempt; the demon can choose whether to let the participants retain their memories or not.

The only thing that separates us from them is the fact that we are
 Huh, we are technically outsiders who are unaffected by the memory wipe. So rather than removing us from the “game”, it would be easier to accomodate us in the form of a game. However, if such was the case, then why–

*cough* Sorry. I went off-tangent there. So anyhow, my point is that it can make sense that -if the past somehow changes- everyone’s present (at least, in terms of memories) can be affected or unaffected depending on what the demon wants.

For each roleplaying game, I have a motto that says: “Our fiction is their reality.”

Except that is not exactly the case here, because the reality we perceive throughout the game and the logs are events that occurred within an artificial world
 in this game. It’s a simulation (world) within a simulation (game).

Nonetheless, it is a fact that “in-game” these characters have lived in this false reality for an undetermined amount of time, even if they don’t remember everything in every attempt.

I have made so many progress. Yet there is still one mystery remaining for this one sub-quest

As for the main quest
 Eh, I genuinely don’t know whether I can make it or not. I have a simple plan in mind, but in practice there are three possible ways this can go wrong.

One of them is easily preventable;
One of them relies on how well speechless communication works in this world; and
The last one is just random interference.

It kinda sucks that the solution to the first problem is only fool-proof by losing one of my greatest interests in this game, but I am heavily relying on speechless communication here, so unless there is a Mary Sue among the ones with me, then I have to do it unless I want to risk learning how slow general patience runs out.

actually, there is another unexplored sub-quest in my current timeline that I can’t afford to explore because of the same cause as the third risk of the main quest.

Let’s see, I currently have:

• Main Quest: Escape.
  • Sub-Quest: Find all names and lore.
  • (Personal) Sub-Quest: Find [REDACTED].
  • (Personal) Sub-Quest: Find out what caused [REDACTED].
  • (Personal) Sub-Quest: Find out what happened to [REDACTED].

I suppose there is also “find out what actually appeared in Ending #10”, but I don’t think I should try to solve this curiosity of mine by tackling it head-on.

You’re clearly this game’s biggest winner, I gave up half-way through

The fact that you gave up does not mean that I am the biggest winner. There is always Leafia and Squirrel.

Additionally, even if I were to escape soon, I will still continue to try and find a better ending.

2 Likes

You’re the biggest winner in my book regardless of whether or not you escape.

3 Likes

Pry sure you’re the biggest winner

3 Likes

I appreciate the thought, but nope. I literally can’t be.
My goal is [everyone] and [in my current timeline], I don’t have [everyone].

Not so

You’re currently saving the most ppl afaik

So you’re the biggest winner

You may not be the biggest compared to a perfect run but you are compared to everyone else

1 Like

See, the issue is: You don’t know how many people are actually alive in my current run.
I am performing worse than you might think.

I literally only got one other person out so :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Ah. 
are you going to attempt to get more people out?

no I’m done

Ah
 okay

(And then there was one.)

So basically the question for myself now is: “How far down the insanity do I actually want to go?”

It is damn difficult, but there ought to be potential to get everyone out. To be honest, this is probably something that should be played with more competitive people akin to myself. It really does have the world-building for exploration.

I won’t be able to get everything, but I ought to have a good grasp on the situation for at least a handful of the participants. Now I only wish there were more people who explored the paths I didn’t take. I already locked in on my current path, so certain paths are now unavailable to me.

I wonder how the other [me]s in other universes are doing?

According to the lore I currently possess, the fact that not everyone is getting out in one go is rather depressing. I more or less understand the context of the entire game, and personally I feel like it really is on a high level design. (Well. Even if I were to unconsciously exaggerate my praises, there is no doubt this is a good quality world for roleplaying.)

I wonder what happened to the people of the past generation. Did they ever manage to successfully leave? If so, did they leave alone, or with other participants? Is this game a case where you are forgotten once you have succeeded?

I have so many questions left in me. Having an omniscient answer them could make my life easier, but as a mortal I feel like it is more fun to experience the journey towards the truth.

I feel like I got infodumped by a great magnitude, only to get overloaded and obsessed by a relatively minor detail compared to the other major loredump.

Gah. I hope this timeline isn’t unique–Oh, who am I kidding? Of course it is unique. Most timelines are, and considering the events that has already happened, there is simply no way back. I just have to wing it and pray nothing bad happens.