[RP Interest Check / OOC THREAD] Play by Post Pathfinder

Hello everyone! Arete was looking at potentially running a PF1E PbP campaign for people, and wanted to get a sense of who would be interested.

Core Logistical Information

System: Pathfinder 1e. Arete and me are both proficient with the system and can assist with character creation. No previous experience with pathfinder 1e is required, but you may benefit from a cursory understanding of d20 systems.
Characters: Starting at Level 1.
Setting: Golarion, the official PF setting. Undecided on the particular location and the particular time period.
Time: Read the entire OP to learn more about PbP.
Size: Arete said they’d be willing to work with 6 at max.
Combat: Will exist.


The Campaign Itself

As pitched, the story would have started with:

basic “someone has been killed in your farming village! solve the murder!” mystery

Arete has mentioned a willingness to be flexible regarding the premise of the game.

From my experience, Arete is skilled at making logically coherent worlds where the actions of the characters conform to reasonable rationality given their goals and wants.


What is a Play by Post

As the name implies, Play-by-Post (or PbP) is the act of playing a tabletop RPG through written posts alone. Instead of gathering around a table and talking through each player’s actions, PbP works via a back-and-forth text exchange on a Discord server or dedicated forum (it’ll be on the forum here). The gameplay rules stay the same, and there’s still a Game Master to guide things along. With PbP, the players have more time to decide what they want to do and claim their turn to speak.

for further information, everything presented here is accurate as far as I can tell:


If you are interested comment below!

3 Likes

LMAOOOO

Okay yeah I don’t have any ideas for that setting

/in

1 Like

Alright. I am interested.

1 Like

I’m interested!

2 Likes

sounds fun

1 Like

as someone with experience with arete dming before, i will say they are great at making worlds feel very lived in and real. im unsure how well stuff would translate to a play by post thing but arete is a good dm, and I think they’d do a good job of it!

6 Likes

basic expression of interest pending details

3 Likes

Am interested

2 Likes

@Geyde
@tutuu
@Zone_Q11
@Squirrel2412
@Ranta
@Atlas
@Amelia

Alright, before we get into specific details of character creation, I wanted to take some time to make sure we’re all on the same general page about the campaign + expectations, and find out if there’s anything in particular you’re looking for, so that we can make it more likely that this is a fun campaign for everyone involved. You can think of this kind of like a session 0, except happening over text.

First, some general ground expectations:

  • Since this is taking place on FoL, people will obviously need to follow FoL rules. In practice, this mostly means following FoL rules about NSFW content. (Discussing the fictional religion and politics of the Golarion setting, or discussing how to commit fictional crimes in the game, is fine.)
  • Please check the game and post frequently enough that you do not extensively hold things up. If you will be busy for an extended period of time (e.g. you’re going on vacation and won’t be checking the forum), let me know and your character can spend some time in-universe being “busy” with something else.
  • PVP is only allowed if both players agree to it out of character.
  • I plan to use milestone levelling for the game (as combat in PBP games tends to be slow, which reduces how much of it is reasonable to include).
  • If you want to use something that didn’t come from the Core Rulebook or Advanced Player’s Guide to build your character, please run it by me – I will probably say yes, but Paizo has definitely printed some kind of silly things over the course of the system.
    • Exception: you don’t need to ask permission to play any “Core”, “Base”, or “Hybrid” class (summoners should specifically be the Unchained version, other classes with an Unchained version can pick)
    • This doesn’t mean “don’t use things that aren’t Core/APG”, or “non-Core options are discouraged”, or anything like that – there are many non-Core options that are completely fine, and I totally encourage you to use them if that’s what you’re interested in!

Second, some more open-ended questions for the group:

  • How much experience with PF1e and/or other TTRPGs do you have? (It’s totally fine if you’re a beginner, but it’s helpful to me to know how much background knowledge I should be assuming you have about the mechanics of the game.)
  • The general scenario I have for the beginning of the game (roughly corresponding to the ~level 1 portion) can flexibly slot into a number of different places in the setting. Assuming this ends up working well enough to last past that point, is there anything in particular you’d be interested in exploring in the rest of the campaign? (If you’re not familiar with the Golarion setting, that’s totally fine – “I think it would be fun to do a lot of political intrigue” or “I hate political intrigue, I want to spend a lot of time exploring cool and unique locations” or “I’m interested in exploring [such and such theme]” or whatever is still a valid and useful answer here.)
  • Are there any topics you absolutely don’t want to be covered in the game, and/or softer limits that you’re fine with having in the background but don’t want to happen onscreen?
3 Likes

(also if the answer is “no one has any opinions on this” I have some pitches I could pitch people on, but I don’t want people to, like, feel constrained by them)

Beginner.

I’m honestly fine with a variety of things, and I also think it would be interesting to hear your possible themes aswell as players.

Nothing already not covered by FoL rules.

1 Like

(also, my “basic expression of interest” has turned more solid)

Ive played a play by post path finder 3.5e campaign on discord before. Ive played pathfinder kingmaker the game. No other experience

Im interested in exploring dungeons and investigating crime and infiltrating enemy locations and fighting tough battles. Im fine with all, down to try anything

Im fine with all topics no censorship from me

1 Like

Oh, if we’re discussing combat, I also really like hard battles that you have to think in.

2 Likes

:pray:

I saw a DM on YT talk about it while he was hosting DnD Mines of Phandelver. Not using milestones is crazy. I don’t know how people of ye olden days manage to stay sane grinding EXP for months.

I have watched a lot of YT VODs from multiple DnD games, but I’ve never actually played it. I think the only TTRPG I have “played” was L5R Rokugan, before it got unofficially canned in its early stages and forgotten from history.

(Random rambling) I genuinely want to be a Barbarian as usual as to match my main personality, but unfortunately I think I will have to be a Cleric this time considering I will be playing the last Arius. Never mind. I now know which god Arius will follow, and I do not have to force him to be a Cleric in order to have him worship that god.

I would like to briefly explore the religion of Golarion, but my main interest is probably going to be exploration.

I got none of tho… Hm… I… I guess there are some things after all? It’s a weird dislike that I have, but I would like to avoid the topics of charity (as in “please give a tip for charity”) and poverty if possible. (Context: I am still bitter from getting scammed IRL.)

4 Likes

Played forum RPGs, but they seem fairly different from conventional TTRPGs from what I know. Also watched a couple DND campaigns on Youtube, but have not played any.

Nothing I especially dislike, but I like intrigue and figuring out mysteries. That said, I also like bashing things on the head with a sword, so anything goes tbh.

Already covered by forum rules.

1 Like

hmm, I think completely avoiding the entire concept of charity and poverty would be pretty challenging, but it should be possible to avoid NPCs asking the party for money/for charitable donations – would that cover what you’re hoping to avoid?

3 Likes

Yes. That will be enough.

Thank you for taking my concern to consideration. :bowing_man:

2 Likes