(Former, then I’ll follow the tracks for the latter)
(amendment/clarification: you can take 20 on Perception checks, and on some Survival checks, but not Survival checks to follow tracks (since you can only take 20 on checks with no penalty for failure – the assumption is that you’re ‘failing’ several times before succeeding))
(although you can take 10 on them if you’re not Under Pressure Or Distracted™)
(This is fine)
You spend several minutes thoroughly searching the area around the stretch of the creek where the body was first discovered. The most notable things you can find are on the body itself. In addition to the entirely expected blood, there are some traces of dirt on the rear of the body’s clothing that certainly weren’t present yesterday. It also seems like the bleeding was particularly profuse around the wound on his stomach, rather than any of the smaller scrapes; that’s not entirely surprising, given that those scrapes are smaller, but the difference is notable even given that fact.
The stomach wound in particular also stands out somewhat beyond that. The wound is about the right size to have been made by a knife or a dagger, but the edges of the wound aren’t quite right for that – it’s almost like a tiny rectangle rather than a proper slit, with abraded margins, as if the wound was made by something not quite as sharp as a regular knife.
What you don’t find is any sign of footprints less recent than the entirely explicable ones from this morning – it seems like the body must have been put into the creek from somewhere else.
(are you heading upstream or downstream next?)
Bugibugi limps towards the church
(In case Agneta is there:) “Ma’am, could you please help me?
I just fought a scary green dragon, it was headed towards the village … it was MANDATORY I fight it! Would you provide long-term care for me while I recover? I can pay…”
(In case Agneta isn’t there:) ask the first person I see “Hello my dear Sir/Madam, have you seen Agneta?”
(she’s there, make a Bluff check)
4
15
She looks affronted. “And what were you really doing that you’re so embarrassed about? Getting into drunken brawls? I’ve half a mind to think these injuries are a sign from the gods!”
Bugibugi looks down to the floor embarassed
“I … fought a giant spider in the forest … alone … its venom sapped me of my strength … would you help me, please?
”
17
He’s clearly nervous, and trying to hide it – given the context of the conversation, and the fact that he just glanced at Kamilla’s current location, you’d guess that it’s related to her in some way.
Arius looks at Sten the Younger for a couple seconds with awkwardness plastered on his face. “…look, I haven’t been at Granitehill for a long of time, but from what I have heard and seen, I can tell you are a good father.”
“If this is a private matter that shouldn’t be talked about outside family members, then I won’t pry any further. However… if you need help that involves manpower, don’t be afraid to ask me.”
((If Sten doesn’t ask for help, then I will go back to the creek at the miller for a stroll.))
She sighs. “I don’t understand why you didn’t just tell me that to begin with. But if you were… trying… to protect the village, repaying you for that is the decent thing to do. …Mind you, I’m not as young as I used to be. I’m not staying up all night if no one’s life is in danger.”
He nods stiffly. “Of course.”
You return to the creek, where Wanderer is currently scouring the bank. What would you like to do there?
4