Story's Terrible Awful Mixtape (SEND ALBUMS)

listening to 10000 gecs today. and probably katzes addition theyre not too long combined

4 Likes

katze
im dead
goodbye

1 Like

Today’s Story So Far

I… never really enjoyed music as a kid. It always felt the same. I was numb to it. What I’ve decided (while listening to 10,000 gecs (spoilers)) was that, what I want from music is to feel challenged in some way… if that makes sense. Not in the way that I’m having a mental fighting match with the music. More in like, I want music to present me with something I don’t know it’s capable of. I think this is why I gravitated towards ytpmv as a kid. The origins of its parts was just as important as the music those parts made. I liked that.

As a now older Story who’s boundries have been pushed, I enjoyed 1000 gecs. I never finished it, I only listened to some of the songs I’ve not been an album listener until recently. But the harshness of the sound with the absurdity of the lyrics was something I enjoyed very much.
In that regard, 10,000 gecs pulls its punches. It is much more rational in its choices and I think it loses something as a result of that.
I think the result is generally higher quality, just less suited to me in particular. I enjoyed alot of the concepts presented, although I wish they explored them further. It feels like there’s a really good idea being executed really well and then it just… loses all steam.
Overall though, I enjoyed it quite a bit. My only real issue with it is that they could’ve explored the ideas presented further. I simply want more gecs in my gecs.
My favourite song was One Million Dollars, followed by I Got My Tooth Removed. There’s just something quite menacing about One Million Dollars I quite like. Historically I’m a big fan of chanting. You will notice this going forward.

As it is the only album I have finished so far, it is winning by default! As is One Million Dollars.

Album Tierlist:

1. 10,000 gecs

Song Tierlist:

1. One Million Dollars

Notably I will not be going into too much detail. I do not retain information very long and I don’t want to be consumed by notetaking when listening to an album. It is an experience first to me. As a result these “reviews” may get quite short, especially with “grilled cheese” music as I call it.

You are also going to notice. I have weird music tastes. And have weird opinions as a result. This is not a place to argue about said opinions, for the record. I’m not a proffesional music listener and will not market myself as such. These are “reviews”, not reviews. Just putting this out here ahead of time because I fear the wrath of music nerds

Thanks for your suggestion, @YoubutWorse! Feel free to submit more in the future.

4 Likes

holy shit she said the thing

2 Likes

Yeah I’m not even be subtle about it. TodaysStory is real and can hurt you

2 Likes

Chapter 1: I am So Fucking Tired

No like seriously. I’ve not slept properly in like… how long? A week maybe? Nothing seems to help. Less light, better timing, better clothes, rotating myself around the bed like I’m a clock, Literal Sleep Medication, it just refuses to clear up. Oh yeah if you haven’t noticed? This is much more than me just “reviewing” the albums. I talk as well. 2 for 1 deal. Or if you hate me talking and think it sucks, it is the price to pay for getting me to spend hours of my time listening to your silly little whims. You might think being unable to sleep makes a perfect time to listen to this music but I can’t process shit. So I just have to sit there in a state imbetween. I get alot of thinking done in that time. Mostly about how tired I am.

After a week of so little sleep, I feel like Satin Panthers is perfect for me right now. It has come at the time I will be able to appreciate it the most. It feels almost sleep deprived in its execution. That might sound bad and, uh, it is. But I love it for that. There is something very, very charming about it.
It’s not terribly produced, it feels more like… the art produced for a lego box. Not in the stupid liminal way. It feels like the context this was made for is missing in a way.
When I was a kid, around the same time I learnt my love for music, I had gained quite the musical flare. Quite strange to say they came at the same time but I, at first, enjoyed making music much more than listening. It reminds me of some of what I wanted then. Especially the first track. It’s my favourite track on the album.
As a result I have kind of a layer of nostalgia for it. It goes well with my sleep deprived state but I can’t rate it on that.
Thunder bay was definitely a low part but I do not hate it. It’s obnoxious in a way I appreciate very much.

NEW RATINGS:

Albums

Despite my personal feelings towards Satin Panthers, it is very clearly below 10,000 gecs. It’s just less whole of an experience. Less pollished.

1. 100 gecs - 10,000 gecs (YoubutWorse)
  2. Hudson Mohawke - Satin Panthers (katze)
Songs

This one is obviously a bit more difficult. “RPG Prologue” style music is something that I hold very near to my heart. Because of that, with repeated listens, I’d definitely prefer Octan out of that nostalgia but in actual enjoyment I think One Million Dollars still takes it.
To reiterate on why One Million Dollars over a few of the other 10,000 gecs songs, it extends on it’s premise in a way I enjoy while I feel those tend to steer away from what make the premise so interesting to me.

1. 100 gecs - One Million Dollars (YoubutWorse)
  2. Hudson Mohawke - Octan (katze)

With all that said, thank you for the listen @katze! My spirits are not broken yet. Feel free to submit again

2 Likes

a shame

2 Likes

do you want me to give you music i like, music to torture you, or something in the middle?

2 Likes

the funny thing is the first 17 seconds of cbat are actually really good

1 Like

the first 17 seconds are the worst part

1 Like

I only listen to kpop

You are doomed

1 Like

in the meantime, take this

guess which of the three this is

1 Like

I submit

Born Pink by Blackpink

Despite being kpop i think it’s a full English album

why are you writing in times new roman

this was today’s story like a month ago

3 Likes

I think you see this as a client-contractor kind of relationship. Think of me as your test subject. No not even that. Think of me as a piece of lab equipment. Your university couldn’t afford more than one and everybody is booking slots on the timetable for their one chance, they won’t have another in a while. Do whatever you want to do the most in the little time you have- oh you already submitted something nevermind then

I recently played a hydra game as Miku, where to differentiate myself I used times new roman. I quite liked it, so I’m using it for this project now. This is me speaking as Story, the piece of lab equipment.

3 Likes

I miss Miku

Chapter 2: I just think it’s neat

A couple years ago was when I was in high school. I say i was in highschool, I was supposed to be in highschool. At that point I had stopped going to school entirely. I wanted to, I just never had the motivation. Around that time, I received a nice little piece of mail from the school, telling me I had to go in and do my practice exams or I would have to leave the school. In retrospect – they couldn’t kick me out. It was just an empty threat. My friend got the same letter and he didn’t get kicked out when he didn’t take the practise papers. Who would’ve guessed?
Not wanting to leave school, I panicked like I had never panicked before. And that panic turned into motivation. I had around one week of prep to go over everything. I did. I did terribly on all the exams anyways but I did.
I cannot understate nothing has put me through such an amount of stress. It feels silly to say that about practice exams but it is true. I had to go to all the teachers and get study material and do all these things I hadn’t done in a very, very long time.
You may ask what this has to do with any of this. It does, sort of. I mostly just like talking. But how I feel about music and everything else in life has been different since then. Permamently.
At the time I didn’t really understand it, but since I’ve come to think of it as a kind of slight ego beating. My sense of self changed, but my perception changed especially. I would look around at everything and see a beauty in all of it, no matter how small. The same goes for music and all art really. I had a newfound understanding and appreciation of… everything.
Since then, although I’ve somewhat recovered from that, the remnants of it are still clearly visible in how I view music.
Satin Panthers is probably, realistically, not very good. But I see the person there and because of that I like it. It is real. And real things are beautiful. I enjoyed the entirety of Satin Panthers. There are imperfections. So many imperfections. But those imperfections are what make it what it is. You wouldn’t of thought of Satin Panthers without them. Isn’t that great? No? Just me?

Chonny’s Charming Chaos Compendium, Vol. 1 is by far the longest thing I’ve listened to so far. Both Satin Panthers and 10,000 gecs totaled around 40 minutes and this is uh. 100. Approximately equal to 40,000 gecs. That’s not to say it overstays its welcome though.
There is clearly alot going on in this, which, as someone not familiar with the creator or any of the process of it, is probably completely lost on me. However, from what I have gotten, I have enjoyed very much, in many cases more than its source material. It is quirky, it is noisy, it is chaotic, and I love it. The production choices here are very suited towards my tastes in particular. The brief moments of calm and softness are appreciated too, they feel, pure for the lack of a better term. There is something very honest in how they are used and they space everything nicely. They are much more common as the album progresses which helped give me some breathing room which, given the fact that I am listening to this in one whole block, was very appreciated.
I don’t really have much bad to say. There are some things that probably exist as a result of the source materials that I don’t care for. Tally Hall’s music has this kind of jester-y tinge that I don’t like very much, and while the highs here make it much more tolerable it still lurks behind the sound.
My favourite song is Dream, followed by Taken for a Ride. Dream surprised me when I was going into this. I wasn’t expecting what came from it but I loved it. How the verses burst out of the Intro and then again in the bridge. Every line comes with such an impact. Fantastic song.
Taken for a Ride represents the album to a much wider degree, and was a very satisfying end to the experience.

I imagine this is something I’ll come back to in the future in an attempt to understand it better, but for now, I have alot to get on with.

NEW RATINGS:

Albums

I… don’t think much needs to be said. This felt just like a wholer experience to me. The average of this album are comparable to some of the highs of 10,000 gecs for me. New leader.

1. Chonny Jash - Chonny’s Charming Chaos Compendium
  2. 100 gecs - 10,000 gecs (YoubutWorse)
  3. Hudson Mohawke - Satin Panthers (katze)
Songs

I think from my description of Dream you can tell where it’s going to go. It left an impact for sure. New leader.

1. Chonny Jash - Dream (Outro from Calamity) (Keldi)
  2. 100 gecs - One Million Dollars (YoubutWorse)
  3. Hudson Mohawke - Octan (katze)

Thank you for the listen, @Keldi! I’m adding your other album to the list now. Feel free to submit again

3 Likes

Autism :fire: :fire: :fire:

2 Likes

Hawaii part 2