What would make a multiball game worth joining?

im going to make the most bullshit game possible but design it such that the setup Demands to be taken seriously

1 Like

It’s unfun because when you have no abilities, you’re literally just playing normal mafia except with two factions. It gets much more frustrating and harder to play the game when there’s two scumteams and the only thing you got by joining multiball was a harder time if you rand VT

2 Likes

The remedy for every setup is to just overload it with PRs

I’m only half joking here

2 Likes

closed setup design is easy just overload the game with weird mechanics you thought up as a bit at 2am one time then format them as seriously as possible

it’s what i do and it has barely failed me yet

3 Likes

the plus with this is that you can make roles that have marginal but vaguely interesting interactions with the aforementioned weird mechnaics to trick people who don’t like VTs into enjoying playing VT

3 Likes

I think as a special occasions or just a gimmicky thing it could work and can be more of a somewhat fun thing rather than a completely balanced thing to do.

but multiballs probably aren’t fun to play constantly cause you start noticing its flaws and id assume that would start to suck a lot.

1 Like

multiballs are really fun for lighthearted/non-serious games because you get a ton of wolfflips and u feel good and u play well as wolf and dont have to tryhard the entire game

its not fun for serious games bc to play it optimally as villa u have to handle twice the amount of spew analysis and as wolf you have to tread a line between being good and being bad so u dont get croskilled etc etc, lots more moving parts that make it much much harder and less enjoyable to play optimally if ur expecting normal mafia

1 Like

My position on multiball is that it’s primarily a way to add a bit of puzzle to both of the standard teams. I find that a lone neutral or 2-player neutral team does this job okay and is much easier to balance than a fully split set of anti-town. At some point in splitting, the game stops being mafia. One can debate on where that is, but generally when the town is also split up, it no longer has that same feel, and there’s not many other ways to justify a mafia-neutral split that isn’t a “just barely not normal sized” mafia plus a couple neutrals. Personally, I do think that a 2-player SK team is about the limit there, but I have heard people say that felt too much like multiball for their tastes. I’ve theorycrafted 3-player neutral teams but at this point I feel that the game essentially must be advertised as multiball if that team has killing power.

1 Like

Not sure how I feel about limited killing power on a 3 player team (e.g. 2-shot hitman) but a 4 player team is solidly multiball.

1 Like

I agree with this and i definitely believe that it should be advertised as such or as the potential to be such
I disagree that its “not mafia” though although I believe that that’s because i have a wider definition than you do, and (unrelated to what you said) i dont think that “not mafia” = “not fun” regardless as long as it is advertised explcitly as such
i feel like multiball is about as different from the “standard mafia experience” as a cop13’er is from a closed singleball rolemadness game

i believe that you’re coming at it from a reviewing/designing perspective over a playing perspective, in which case i definitely agree with you that the game being multiball is not a thing that you should decide on a whim.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t mean to say it’s intrinsically not fun, but that from a player perspective, people feel it’s not what they signed up for.

Personally I feel it fits into mafia-esque games at the very least, but where the line begins and ends is :man_shrugging:. Is Dethy mafia? Is Assassin in the Palace? Is EIMM?

1 Like

8 Likes

Where is Octuple Threat

2 Likes

Imagine spelling Laissez wrong

7 Likes

Brb gonna just die

That was me btw :wowee:

3 Likes
2 Likes

I would say Deus Ex 5 is multiball, except about that.

1 Like

I don’t think game ending jester is standard

1 Like

If I have to be serious this is mostly not going to work in my experience
And even if it does it’ll be undercooked

2 Likes

faction neutral roles rebel

I think