Danganronpa: ReWorked or thread how to better improve the DR games in general.

uhh something something I agree with that first part of the essay/wallpost/big thing

although

I would say this points concept feels less dangan and more like an entirely new misc concept, just with some inspiration from dangan

Not to say it couldn’t work

but I think part of the point of Dangan is that it’s literally life or death if you find the killer or not, and then in the case of forum dangan, it’s almost life or death since iirc you get some leeway and dont immediately all lose if you let the blackended go

take this opinion with a grain of salt since my experience so far with this type of misc has been me being unlucky and dying to poison immediately in the first chapter

1 Like

@katze i can’t believe you’d do this to me

9 Likes

Interesting. I think I’ve said this before, but I sometimes play on a Fangan site. The experimental system used there involves trial objectives - Spotless need to solve a set percentage of a trial as decided by the host, such as:

• How did the lights in the basement go out?
  • Where did the water puddle in the kitchen come from?
  • What is the cause of death of the victim?
  • Who is the culprit of this case?

For each objective solved, the host distributes a set percentage of the trial solved, so the Spotless are encouraged to actually help solve the case instead of randomly guessing. There’s an idea.

2 Likes

spotless randomly guessing in trials really isn’t a problem, the detectivework in previous games on this site has been, roughly, fine. it’s a fine idea, actually, but it’s another instance of solving a problem that doesn’t exist in my view

1 Like

Alright, but it also encourages the Blackened to design more complicated trials.

that’s incentivised by the very nature of murder mysteries; elegance is not simplicity

/support.
Would the true Blackened be revealed at the end of the trial, or not?

Isn’t that how it usually works?

I don’t know how DR is played on this site.

Pretty sure blackened is revealed at the end of a trial

Otherwise how would it work

but to continue with my point, most attempts to fix DR, including ones made by yours truly, have been flawed mainly on them trying to solve problems that don’t exist, or trying to solve symptoms of problems without tackling the cause. ultimately, the problems with the way DR used to be come down to two problems:

• It’s too hard for murderers to win
  • It’s too hard to be reasonably hosted

neither is a problem with a singular, elegant solution. the only way to solve them, unfortunately, is to get in the weeds and ratchet everything to exactly the right settings to incentivise murder and not put a burden on the hosts. it takes a lot of work, quite a lot of planning, and a lot of creativity, but i think we have it.

Two questions: one, when the Blackened is committing murder what is everyone else doing? Are there step-by-step actions or are there events with the killer’s plan practically auto’d?
Second, what are the game’s phases?

ah, right, let me explain how things work over here!

the game’s phases are Daily Life, Deadly Life, and Trial- basically, during Daily Life, players can do whatever they want (within certain limits), including murder- there are puzzles, opportunities for roleplaying, and generally lots of secrets to uncover, so the Spotless are all either searching for something themselves, trying to plan their own murders, or just vibing. a murder could happen at any time, it could take a while until it happens, or barely any time at all. when the body is discovered, the game switches to Deadly Life, where players have 24 hours of more restricted actions to investigate and figure out what happened. then there’s the trial, which is 48 hours, and works about how you’d expect it to work.

the murderer’s plan is Not automatic- if they didn’t account for the actions of other players, they may be forced to improvise.

this structure is by far the most fun for the players out of all the structures of the same underlying conceept that I’ve seen, but without proper tuning that quite frankly has not been present in any of the five we’ve run on this site in place, it’s neither going to be all that easy to commit murder in or all that easy to host. i plan to change that to make it comfortably hard to host and actually quite easy to commit murder if you think it through

2 Likes

actions function in real time, for reference

this is mostly the same thing though right?

I’m unclear as to what the object in this question is, but to answer it as best as I can, there are other ways that DR can be run that I have personally seen and played with that all fall short in various ways, and that while this one is by far the most challenging to make work it is also the most rewarding- DR6 will use the same underlying structure, with only minor differences for quality of life.

Does this work in real-time?

yeah! or, well, roughly, more accurately an approximation of real time in which players only have a certain amount of AP (action points) to perform actions with

Alright, here’s an idea.
During Daily Life, rotate between Free Time and Events. Free Time acts like you just described, but the Event is planned by the Blackened (if one is planning a murder) or the Mastermind. The Event can provide an opportunity to gather Spotless into a certain area, or to gather certain materials which can’t normally be found, something like that.

no because, frankly speaking, that sucks, and takes freedom away from the players in a way that quite simply is not fun