[RP] Play-By-Post Pathfinder

“Of course. Thank you for this vital testimony. When did this happen, so that I may ask more to others who may know?”

(Did this appear truthful)

Sten the Younger’s forge is in a separate building from his house – not uncommon in Brevoy, where so many buildings are made of wood and a mistake at the forge could easily make the whole building go up in flames. Long ago, when the forge was first constructed, when the village was even smaller, before the current version of the village’s palisade had been built and long before any of the living members of Sten the Younger’s family had even been born, the forge lay on the outskirts of the village, where the noise and the risk of fire were less likely to bother other residents. Of course, the village has grown since then, and the forge is no longer particularly on the outskirts.

Still, Sten the Younger’s house is next door to the forge, so it’s not exactly a long trip. Sten the Younger comes back with the handle and attaches it to the cart. “You know, Vin, the handle is just in my room–”

“I know that, Dad! But he said it’d be stealing, so he made me get you.”

Sten gives you a gentle smile. “Well, you have my thanks for looking out for me, but Vin’s family – he can borrow my cart to haul wood if he wants.”

1 Like

@discobot roll 2d20

:game_die: 5, 8

It’s most of an hour before you run into anything more novel than a squirrel, but eventually, once you’ve dared to venture in a little past the outskirts, you spot a pair of giant spiders, each the size of a grown man. The spiders aren’t exactly hiding, but ensconced in their webs, you don’t notice them until you’re about fifteen paces away. They’re distracted eating some kind of oversized fly, and they don’t seem to have noticed you yet. What would you like to do?

explanation of how this battlemap works

The battlemap basically shows what the battlefield looks like – so, for example, there are trees and webs marked on this battlefield show where trees and spiderwebs are. Each character is represented by a token – in this case, the two spiders are represented by the spider tokens, and you’re represented by the crossed swords (you can send me another token if you have one you’d rather use).

Each square on the map represents a 5x5 square – so, if you move “up” one square, that’s 5 feet of movement. Diagonals count 5 feet for the first diagonal, then 10 feet of movement (for 15 total) for the second feet, then 5, then 10, and so on (if that explanation of diagonal movement doesn’t make sense, tell me and I can explain it again in more words).

2 Likes

“One link at a minimum for destinations that aren’t between here and Hazel Ford. You can choose to pay more, and it’ll be added to the fee that gets passed along to the courier, to make it more likely someone carries the letter if it’s a bit out of their way.”

1 Like

“Yesterday evening, around sunset, but before the honored priestess’s channel.”

(yes)

Can I go around and ask for information about this?

Yes (roll Diplomacy to gather information)

(also, what are you asking? “Did you see anyone throw a rock through the window of the temple?”)

(I will ask if they saw or heard anyone doing that at [listed time])

@discobot roll 1d20

:game_die: 14

(26)

1 Like

Drakor nodded, then retrieved a silver link from his belt pouch. “Do you have parchment that I could use?”

(Listed time being a truncation of when the madam told me it happened)

“Well, I sure didn’t see anyone!”


“That would’ve been around Agneta’s channel, right? So everyone there should be clear.”


“If I were you I’d check the area near the window, see if they left any signs.”

“…you could just do that, if you wanted to.”

“Well, it seems like these nice young people have it under control, doesn’t it?”


“Sure, I saw plenty of people around sundown. Isn’t that normal? You’ve got everyone coming in from their fields, right? Do you want me to name them all?”


“You know, I was telling Agneta she ought to keep the bushes near the temple trimmed. If people just listened to me, this never would have happened.”


“I don’t know, this whole ‘rock’ story sounds pretty fishy to me. Have you even seen the rock?”


(you’re pretty sure that if anyone had directly witnessed the rock-thrower throwing the rock or sneaking around by the temple, you’d have heard from them by now)

“Two links for a sheet.”

ooc

me: “let me just quickly check how much parchment costs again”
me:
me:
me: wow! ok!

this is really expensive for our reference period (though not for some earlier periods that the setting sometimes feels like being based on), but trying to create an internally consistent economy is kind of a ‘there lies madness’ sort of deal :joy_cat:

2 Likes

Drakor winced, but handed over the three links.

letter

Fourth of Gozran, 4704.

Shir,

I hope you are well. I’m currently in Granitehill. A visiting magistrate was murdered yesterday night (the third of Gozran). Reportedly he was investigating the Baron; I suspect that this murder may be connected to the attack.

My efforts to track the one-eyed man have proven unfruitful. As such, I believe finding this murderer is my best path forward.

Unfortunately, our case has stalled. We found footprints in the forest near the scene of the crime, but I lost the trail. There is a slight possibility the culprit used alchemy to enhance their strength, but that connection is tenuous at best.

If you have any suggestions, please advise. I’m aware that you’re guarding home in my absence, so please do not leave to find me. Any correspondence may be forwarded to the Granitehill general store.

-Draks

2 Likes

She removes a small box from behind the counter, unlocks it, places the letter back inside, relocks it, and returns the box to its original position. “Can I help you with anything else today?”

2 Likes