I don’t believe you
“Thanks,” Drakor nodded.
He looked at the young man, curious. “Are you from here? Why are you staying in the stable?”
“Thank you” Witch gave a mild smile
“And what about these newcomers?”
“Do they bring rumors like always? I am sure a sudden influx of them has a reason.”
He ducks his head in mild embarrassment. “My family’s just a few minutes away. But I’ve been trying to save up money to pay for lodgings down in Hazel Ford, and every time I go home my parents won’t stop telling me I should just stay in town… Yamyra said she’d throw in room and board for free on top of my wage, and now I don’t have to spend so much time arguing with my folks.”
Drakor blinked. “Free is free. But don’t-”
He was quiet for a moment, and looked out into the darkness of the loft. “Do not forget that your parents are mortal. And they may pass far, far too early.”
“Oh, it’s not my place to gossip,” she says.
In the time you’ve known her, this phrase has nigh-invariably preceded gossip, and this time is no exception.
“You know, I heard one of them spent the whole day searching the forest! I couldn’t believe it, I thought he’d gone mad – er, no offense intended to present company, of course, at least you know your way around it. And the three of them who are staying with me – I don’t understand how they’ve stayed together this long, you wouldn’t believe how angry Messire Kaver was with that boy he has with him, I could hear his yelling all the way in here! And then there was that nice young fellow who was helping with the channels earlier – mighty strange, but at least he does good work…”
(She continues in this general vein for quite some time.)
“…but I shouldn’t keep you, not when it’s so late.”
“Guess that makes sense.”
Drakor nodded. “Good night, young Rabbit.”
He went back to sleep.
(signing off for the night)
“You too. Sleep well.”
[anyone have things they want to do before the next morning, or are we good to move forwards a bit in time?]
((I got nothing on my end. Arius is probably already asleep.))
Riders at night carry no glad tidings goes the Brevic saying, but thankfully your rest tonight is largely undisturbed. Around midnight, a gentle rain starts to fall, but the pitter-patter of the rain is gentle, and the tavern’s windows are glass. The roof, too, stays firm, despite the concerns of certain customers. The stable’s shutters let a bit of rain through into the ground floor, but the loft is dry; the deep breathing of the sleeping mules is rather louder than the rain.
Most people in this village rise with the sun, and today is no exception – there’s planting to be done, and no time to waste.
That is, until…
About half an hour after sunrise, Leta Flintbeard bursts into breakfast, slightly winded. “We’ve got a missing person,” she says without preamble. “Has anyone seen that older man who was lodging with Alseta? His wife found his bed empty this morning.”
Meanwhile, around the village, a few other people from the village militia have been dispatched to knock on doors, asking everyone who lives in the village the same question and trying to herd them all into what passes for the central square.
(Is this the guy my character was talking to?)
(If so, did I see him get back successfully since we were assumedly walking back together?)
[It’s the same person you were talking to, yes]
[He made it back to the temple just fine, but… either he didn’t actually go back inside, or he went inside and left, or there’s something stranger going on, and none of those options are necessarily good]
Wanderer steps forth and gives context, specifically mentioning that they had made it back to the temple last night just fine, but that he does not have the information to narrow down the results between him not actually going back inside, him getting back inside and not leaving, or if there’s something stranger going on.
He holds his tongue on why he was out with him at night.
“Caution and calm. Him not discussing with me at this breakfast is a sign that whatever has happened was not something he planned…assuming he holds to his word.”
She looks you up and down. “It’s good that you came forward. We’d had a tip about someone meeting your description poking around about him. Of course, the fellow who gave us the tip was mighty shady himself…”
“I don’t know,” says a militia member accompanying her. “Don’t you think he might just be trying to deflect suspicion? I mean, it’d be really shady to try to deny it, right–”
She holds up a placating hand. “We can sort that out one way or another later. For now, we need to focus on finding our missing person.”
“One moment.”
(i assume we get a rest, so I’m going to do the ears of the city thing again)
9
9