“Could be a lead in metaphor form.” Wanderer is speaking…entirely genuinely!
Bugibugi’s eyes open wide. He feels proud that he’s helping out.
Wanderer inhales.
“To those willing to accuse me.” There’s an evident frustration in his voice.
“I have neither the means, motive, nor method to have done this. I am untrained in all weapons but my deity’s sling, am physically weak, and I had negotiated a meeting with the victim to discuss a business deal this morning. Not only that, but my actions this morning are, frankly, stupid in this world that you’re making!”
“As for solving this, I would ask ‘Where is Savil?’”
My fingers twitch as I return to my standard state of low anxiety.
…
Canary feels the palm of her right hand with her same thumb, and takes a handful of measured steps backwards.
Drakor moved his hands off of his weapons, back to his pack.
“Might I inquire what you discussed with Messire Kaver?” he asked the Wanderer. “Did he make mention of enemies that may want his head?”
{I ever so briefly consider diving into the water to see if he, or the killer, dropped anything below. But I’ve already embarrassed myself enough today. I can’t. I’ll be more of a social outcast.}
Wanderer’s gaze pierces through you. He gives a slight shake of the head.
“He wanted to investigate the Baron. I wanted to join his investigation. No, I don’t know anyone in particular who may want his head, though I do think that’s a good starting point.”
As Lionel arrives to the scene, he can’t help but be shocked at the sight. Not enough to truly rattle him, but it is unnerving that someone of a similar station to himself would get picked off like this.
“So… I do not believe it a stretch to claim that this man was murdered.”
“What do we know about the crime so far?”
“Investigating what? Could it be something the Baron would not want brought to light?” Drakor asked, leaning in closer.
Drakor glanced at Lionel, taking in the appearance of the newcomer.
(What does your character look like?
)
(Not dissimilar to the victim, just less affluent. But visibly of a higher station)
“If I knew, I would have said so.”
“A fair point.” Drakor tapped his hood in acknowledgement.
Drakor turned to look at the newcomer. “Found Messire Kaver here tangled on a tree root, because… I don’t actually know why we decided to search here, but we pulled him out. The Wanderer said Messire Kaver was investigating the Baron.”
He folded his arms. “That seems like a motive worth looking into, if you ask me. People don’t like people who ask questions.”
[you can roll for that]
[yep, go ahead]
14
“It’s not an implausible motive, and were I to look at the situation with a biased lens, I’d jump to that conclusion.”
He closes his eyes and nods
“But there could be more than just that. The Messire was formerly a magistrate. Our culprit could simply be someone who got burned by the law. Or even just something more menial. Though, admittedly, throwing the body into a river doesn’t seem very ‘brigand’ like.”
“And why would our dear Messire decide not to just go back to bed after my meeting with him last night? We both got back to the temple. I posit that the only way he would just decide not to was if a trusted individual gave him a compelling reason.”
“Magical nonsense is also an option I suppose.”
14