Weekly Monday Discussion #1

Welcome to the Weekly* Monday** Discussion!
* Not actually weekly.
** Not actually on Monday.

Awards

An archived version of the FoL Awards can be found here.

I. Continue, or start again?

One of the main issues with copying all nominations is that reading previous games is near-impossible, so the only information people would have to go off of when voting are the writeups and our memories.

We have a few options:

• Host 2021 awards based on nominations from the old site.
  • Do not host 2021 awards.
  • Host awards every year starting in 2022.
  • Host awards every year starting in 2022, but also include new site 2021 games in the 2022 awards.
  • Don’t host awards in the future.

II. How would you copy the thread?

We would copy the table containing all nominations and seconds. Along with this, I would reply to the thread with copies of all writeups, then change the owner of each post to their original owners.

III. What would change?

Everything would remain the same, except now that we have full customization of our own site, we can provide badges to those who win awards!

These polls are not anonymous. Results are shown after voting. You can select multiple answers.

Awards Poll 1
  • Host 2021 awards based on nominations from the old site.
  • Do not host 2021 awards.

0 voters

Awards Poll 2
  • Host awards every year starting in 2022.
  • Host awards every year starting in 2022, but also include new site 2021 games in the 2022 awards.
  • Don’t host awards in the future.

0 voters

Sticky Avatars

I. What are sticky avatars?

Sticky avatars are currently viewable on the Light theme. This change makes avatars (profile pictures) move as you scroll, allowing you to see who created the post you’re currently reading - which makes reading longer posts much less confusing.

Example

54JaVom

II. Can I disable them?

For the time being, no. I’m working on making this change only apply to larger posts, as well as making it toggleable in user settings, but I’m unsure how long this will take or if it’s even feasible.

If you dislike sticky avatars, you can use a Legacy theme, which they will not be added to.

III. But what if I reeeeally don’t like them?

Unfortunately, sticky avatars are now a default feature of Discourse in the most recent builds. We will eventually be upgraded to a newer version once they’re stable, meaning we will eventually have sticky avatars no matter what. It’s currently a matter of whether or not we would like them early.

This poll is not anonymous. Results are shown after voting. You can select multiple answers.

Sticky Avatars Poll
  • Add sticky avatars to Dark Theme.
  • Don’t add sticky avatars to Dark Theme.

0 voters

Hosting Plans

We are currently on a $40/mo hosting plan, which we are able to afford 8 more months of with our current patreon subscriptions and other donations.

I. How much money is a better hosting plan?

We would be upgrading to an $80/mo hosting plan, which we can currently afford 4 months of.

II. Why upgrade?

With the better hosting plan, we would have access to custom plugins such as automated votecounts. We would also be able to choose & lock which version of Discourse we would like to be using, rather than be upgraded to the latest stable version as soon as it becomes available. We would have more storage and well as pageviews per month, allowing us to comfortably have high traffic without risk of going over our limit.

III. Can we downgrade if we can’t afford the more expensive plan?

Yep! We can downgrade at any time, but we would lose access to the above perks.

This poll is not anonymous. Results are shown after voting. You can select multiple answers.

Hosting Plan Poll
  • Upgrade to the $80/month plan within the next few weeks.
  • Upgrade to the $80/month plan after a few more months of donations.
  • Do not upgrade to the $80/month plan.

0 voters

Please keep replies constructive and on topic.

4 Likes

some things never change :pensive:

8 Likes

Will sticky avatars be added to legacy themes?

Nope

Though if we’re ever updated to the latest version of Discourse, they will be

5 Likes

Btw how does the pageview stuff work

Like does it only allow a certain number of users to be on at a time or is it just “if your site gets visited too much we lock it”

They’ll just automatically upgrade us to the next plan if we go over

Right now we aren’t in any danger of hitting our limit tbh
When it comes to things like FAM (which is like half a year away) or hosting 4 high-traffic games at once (2 FM + 2 misc) we might

5 Likes

Really think hosting awards for a dead site is more trouble than its worth - let these awards be our thing going forward, in my opinion, and let the old site have its rest.

As for the hosting plan, I think upgrading to the $80/month tier too hastily is a waste. We’re nowhere near maxing out this one, and we’re still doing work every week on tweaks and improvements even without more plugins. Let us get settled, get an idea of what our longterm cashflow is going to look like, and then consider whether doubling our cost for plugins is something we really want.

The main advantage would be 451-style vote counts, but we’ve survived for half a decade on manual VCs and I don’t think holding off for a bit to be sure it’s a good idea is going to hurt, while jumping on a more expensive plan too soon may come back to bite us later.

1 Like

It feels slimy to give my 2 cents on this as I’m not a donator but like

Do whatever nya I answered everything else

i will rob a bank to pay for patreon

if police catch me and ask why

i give them chloe’s phone number and say they did it

6 Likes

Especially when we’re missing a month of games and any nominations during that time, not to mention the old site being dead and only around in backup form, making it even less likely than it already was the people would go read through the nominated games to pick an actual winner rather than just voting what they were around for.

I am a strong believer that the Fortress of Lies Awards should be for Fortress of Lies, I guess.

1 Like

I like the sticky avatars (I had to switch to light to check this smh)

While I think it’s a shame for the games hosted in 2020 to not have a chance at receiving a reward like previous setups have, this is an entirely new site.

I think we need to enforce the aspect that this is a new site. I personally don’t like the idea that this would be a “continuation” of old FoL, but rather it’s new thing.
So: new awards for this site, and scrap any sort of ties we had to old FoL hosted games.

1 Like

That wasn’t Amelia, that was me
lmfao
(ty chloe)

1 Like

If you have no opinion on a poll but you want to see the results, feel free to just vote for every option

3 Likes

Marshal do you get a notification every time I post or something

3 Likes

no

i can just tell

3 Likes

its my goal to like every chloe post that I can on this new site

3 Likes

what the hell happened to this post

sounds like a grand idea