FoL Awards 2023 - Discussion Thread

I will never win that category ever, even though I often spend extreme amounts of time perfecting art and stuff for my games, because I care immensely about the appearance of things and will spend ages tweaking font sizes, colors, rolecard images, and more, and even make end credits videos for my games, but I have quite literally no desire to ever attempt to make any flavor beyond that - I’m never going to attempt to tell a story with things, as I generally prefer to let the game speak for itself.

Kinda makes it hard to win a flavor award when the flavor stops after rolecards are sent out lol

3 Likes

also I can’t draw for shit so art is only ever modified digitally

1 Like

Wait can I nominate achro his his flabor in my game

2 Likes

understandable
i dont really have any comments
i dont think i necessarily deserve an award but i also acknowledge i do a lot of flavor work too

2 Likes

I’m not trying to downplay your work at all or anything - in fact, I wasn’t even really commenting on the specifics of this situation with the noms for the award this year in particular, and I’m definitely NOT trying to say I “should” win or even be nominated

I have a lot of respect for people who go above and beyond for their setups from start to finish

I also have a lot of respect for people who can truly create things with competency

When you start to combine multimodal creation with going above and beyond for the setup is when you start to move into “yeah this is worth recognizing” territory and I would say you 100% fall into that camp

Just commenting as somebody who also does a lot of up-front work but basically stops there lel - Omega Strikers FM is a good example of this, where I spent a bunch of time before the game started prepping the artwork for the OP, perfecting the text color palate for each character’s card and the alignments and the OP and stuff, creating the end credits video, even literally ripping stuff from my game files to get the images used for in-game emotes which I resized to give the players fun pictures to use in-game. However, I never really used any of that to give the game itself any sort of meaning or anything - instead I just hunted around for a ton of memes and clips and just used those for all my VCs and start/end-of-phase posts. I think it’s hard to argue that the game itself had any flavor at all, really, beyond whatever the players gave it through their actions and the fact the game is based on a video game with a bunch of characters that other, non-me people created.

And personally, I’m happy with that. It’s what I want out of my games.

Contrast with either nominated game, where the characters are all custom, and there’s some effort made to tell a bit of a story through the flavor in a way that I just never really do, and I think it’s pretty clear which are in a class more deserving of the award for flavor.

So yeah, don’t knock yourself here please lel

6 Likes

@Achromatic

SPOTY (shitposter of the year) award when?!

1 Like

SPOTTY award (for Spoppy the Cat)

2 Likes

MotY (May of the Year) award goes to Magnus

1 Like

could someone give me some background on what happened in need for speed?

1 Like

.>“in extraordinary circumstances”
.>two of the 3 options are multiple people

2 Likes

@snowe can i sheep you on this

1 Like

I would say that Magnus’s circumstance was the most extraordinary there, too, given they literally soloed the scumteam,

1 Like

I helped out a lot by being whispered the list of scum and misinterpreting it to mean Hazzy was the Flowergirl,

1 Like

Best Fakeclaim: For the most effective fakeclaim.

nominates the fakeclaim that literally didn’t work at all

Litten just kind of assumed it caused infighting in the mafia but we just ignored it. We had bigger problems

1 Like

let’s go best fake claim Eliza!!!

3 Likes

Do you know how much town KP Someone wasted!!

1 Like

It was funny as fuck they were always so convincingly verbally disappointed in thread when it didn’t work… “damn guys I wanted to prove myself… let’s try again tomorrow, everyone come waste your ITAs with me again” and town listened every single time

1 Like

I agree