FoL Awards 2024 - Nominations Thread

This is the thread for awards nominations! Please be sure to include (1) who you are nominating, (2) what award you are nominating them for, and (3) a short description of why you are nominating them.

Please ensure that all replies are strictly on-topic. Extended discussion should go in the discussion thread.
Credit to the Mafia Universe mods for creating the system that we’ve modelled these awards off of.

Rules

• Anyone who has played at least one game on FoL can nominate another member for an award. Anyone involved with the FoL community, including anyone who has played or hosted at least one game on FoL, is eligible to receive an award.
  • The same player may not receive the same Player Achievement Award, Best Host, or Community MVP in two consecutive years.
  • All nominations must have a nomination and a second to be valid. You cannot nominate yourself, nor can you nominate a team that you were part of (for example, if you were scum in CoD 1, you can’t nominate the CoD 1 scumteam for a group award; however, you could nominate a teammate for an individual award).
  • All games that occurred on Fortress of Lies or the Fortress of Lies subforum on MU at least partially in 2024 are eligible to receive an award, except for games that were eligible for the 2023 awards
  • The deadline for nominations is one week after the last game that began in 2024 ends.
  • Once the nominations period is over, all relevant awards will be eligible for voting. Voting will be done via forum poll (the results will not be visible to anyone except forum moderators).

Awards

Performance Awards

Summary

Best Town Performance - Single Player (vanilla game): For a good individual performance as town in a Vanilla-queue game.

Best Town Performance - Single Player (special game): For a good individual performance as town in a Special-queue game.

Best Scum Perfomance - Single Player (vanilla game): For a good individual performance as scum in a Vanilla-queue game.

Best Scum Performance - Single Player (special game): For a good individual performance as scum in a Special-queue game.

Best Neutral/Third Party Performance: For a good individual performance as a neutral role.

Best Misc Performance: For good performance in a Misc game. In extraordinary circumstances, a team may be nominated for this award.

Best Replacement Performance: For a player who performed well after replacing into a game.

Best Use of a Power Role: For a player who displayed skill in using their Power Role (PR). This may be any PR, even a very weak one.

Best Fakeclaim: For the most effective fakeclaim.

Best Town Performance - Group (vanilla game): For collective excellence as town in a Vanilla-queue game.

Best Town Performance - Group (special game): For collective excellence as town in a Special-queue game.

Best Scum Performance - Group (vanilla game): For collective excellence as scum in a Vanilla-queue game.

Best Scum Performance - Group (special game): For collective excellence as scum in a Special-queue game.

Hosting Awards

Summary

Best Flavor: For a game with great flavor.

Best Setup: For an interesting, enjoyable, and well-designed setup. FAM is not eligible.

Best Misc: For an interesting, enjoyable, and well-designed Misc.

Best Role/Mechanic: For a role or mechanic that was both interesting and well-designed.

Best Host: For a host who consistently hosts well-designed and enjoyable games.

Fun Awards

Summary

Funniest Moment: For the funniest moment.

Best Meme: For the best meme that relates to FoL or forum mafia in some way.

Community MVP: For the community member most willing to help out the community and make it a good place to be. Mods are not eligible.

Player Achievement Awards

Summary

Best Mechanical/Strategical Player: For a player who consistently displays good knowledge of mechanics and uses them effectively, as either alignment.

Best Replacement Player: For a player who consistently replaces into games, and plays solidly after doing so.

Rookie-of-the-Year: For a player whose first forum mafia game was in 2024.

Most Improved Player: For a player whose first forum mafia game was PRIOR to 2024, but who improved significantly in 2024.

Most Dedicated Player: For a player who is dedicated, even when the game is going poorly.

Most Enjoyable Player: For a player who is enjoyable, even when the game is going poorly.

Best Team Player: For a player who does a good job at working with their teammates, regardless of their alignment.

Best Misc Player: For a player who consistently does well in Misc games.

Best Town Player: For the best overall town player.

Best Scum Player: For the best overall scum player.

Best All-Around Player: For a player who is “good at everything.”

2 Likes

Current Nominations

Performance Awards

Summary
Award Player Game Nominated by
Best Scum Performance - Single Player (special game): Someone Ritual Mafia V Leafia and May
Best Scum Performance - Single Player (special game): Catbae Paradox Hazard Ash, Chloe, and Frostwolf
Best Scum Performance - Group (special game) Leafia, Someone, Bionic, and Otter Ritual Mafia V Litten and May
Best Misc Performance Kiiruma XXVI: Lizards Magnus and Hazard
Best Fakeclaim Kiiruma XXVI: Lizards Magnus and Hazard
Best Town Performance - Single Player (vanilla game): Tutuu Kittens Game: Combinantorics Mafia Chloe and Frost

Hosting Awards

Summary
Best Setup May Kittens Game: Combinatorics Mafia tutuu and Someone

Fun Awards

Summary

Player Achievement Awards

Summary
Award Player Nominated by
Most Enjoyable Player Leafia Brakuren & Marshal
Best Team Player Catbae Hazard, Marluna, and Frostwolf

Nominations Without a Second

Summary
Award Player/Team Game Nominated by
5 Likes

I nominate @Apprentice best misc player.

10 Likes

Second. I’m vulnerable to tactics

10 Likes

Thirded.

2 Likes

I nominate @Leafia for most enjoyable player.

7 Likes

seconded

7 Likes

^_^ Yay!

3 Likes

^_^ Double yay!

3 Likes

I nominate ritual mafia for best scum team
congrats Gar!!!

9 Likes

Second nya peer pressure

8 Likes

I noinate @Someone for best mafia performance for Ritual Mafia V.

6 Likes

Second (no peer pressure)

6 Likes

Finally got the nomination edited in correctly.

3 Likes

I think I’m getting the hang of this now.

3 Likes

For the showing made in BOTF XXVI: Lizards, I nominate @Kiiruma for the Best Misc Performance and the Best Fakeclaim awards.

For context, this was effectively a Forum Mafia closed rolemadness game following the Blood on the Clocktower formula. Kiiruma was on the evil team, and received an ability to invoke a Prisoners’ Dilemma between two other players, causing various bad effects (but only if they betrayed each other).

Kiiruma successfully convinced the Town that his dilemma was instead flipped, tricking the good team into repeatedly betraying each other into evoking these bad effects. Not only that, but he managed to steal one of the limited Outsider claims of the game, clearing himself while incriminating a good player with sufficient amounts of evidence that contemplating otherwise was difficult. That’s the reason why I’m nominating him for the latter award.

As to the former, however, Kiiruma managed to clear his Demon (Pandora/Otterpopd) by pretending she had a mechanical effect on the game when she in fact did not, by claiming (evil) players received useful abilities from her via a public election system. Kiiruma used his own ability (the Prisoner’s Dilemma) to demonstrate one such effect, which he got away with due to the closed rolemadness format. When the good team tried to elect a good player and nothing happened, Kiiruma claimed his Townsfolk neighbours were drunk in order to clear her once and for all, and led the final accusation against the final misexecution to secure a wolf sweep primarily on his own merit.

(Nominating BOTF-anything for the awards does make me feel uneasy when it intrudes on both the Mafia and Misc awards, but this felt deserved.)

10 Likes

i will second on both

7 Likes
8 Likes

Nominating this for the newly added Best Post Award

Context: Marissa subbed in to the top wagon consensus wolfread slot. Atlas (wolf) just told her “youre ignoring mech in a mech game”

9 Likes

How did you end up voting her out after this

3 Likes