Identifying Power Roles

Identifying Power Roles

Prelude:
One of the most pressing problems for mafia in small setups with one or two known power roles…are the power roles. They are villagers who have the power to heavily affect the game, and they have the role to back up their assertion that they are town if they are ever threatened. Their strengths are obvious, but their strengths are also their weakness. They play differently because they know they can assert that they are town at any point, and because they know that mafia want to know who they are so that they can kill the power role. In this article I will explain several ways you can exploit power role’s weaknesses as mafia, in order to find them.

Identifying the power roles:
There are two main ways of identifying power roles, with the exception of mafia PR’s who can gather information. The first is process of elimination. The second method is identifying key behaviors of power roles to identify who is likely a power role. A combination of both used well will lead to success identifying power roles.

The Starting Point: POE
Before the game starts, you should have a channel in mafia chat dedicated to power role hunting. The first post in that chat should just be a copy and pasted list of all the villagers in the game, which you can edit to strike out certain villagers later on in the game or circle them. Your goal should be to strike out a majority of these people for a small game by the end of d2.

Strike Outs:
The most basic way to find the power role(s) is to figure out who isn’t a power role and striking them from that list. This can be achieved in multiple ways. I will focus on two strike out tools.

First Tool: Pressuring Villagers
The first way you can strike out villager from the list is watching how villagers who have a significant chance at going over during a day react. If a power role has a reasonably good chance at going over, chances are they are going to claim, while a VT will probably not claim PR (especially if the PR is a vigilante and or it’s a small game). As a wolf, in small games D1 and D2 you should be focusing on baiting out the PR by pressuring villagers who have a solid chance at being a PR.

Theory: From a theory perspective, it makes sense to focus on pressuring potential power roles D1, while relying on other methods later days. The reason for this is because as mafia, the most optimal way to find a power role is to do it in a way where they don’t actually claim - them claiming may have adverse effects, so while outting a PR d1 is good, it is optimal to indirectly out them and putting a bullet through their skull past D1.

Second Tool: Logic Chains
The second way you can strike out players is using logic chains to figure out whether someone being a PR makes sense or not. I will use the previous game as an example of a logic chain.

In One Step From Eden, no kill happened N1. Jaiden carried the factional kill attacking Icet, which means Jaiden knew that the jail keeper targeted them or icet. In that game, Leafia pressured Jaiden early on D2 and then later started aggressively going after Furtive. We can cross out leafia from being the JK because we can logically conclude that if Leafia was JK they would be suspicious and attacking Jaiden/Icet more aggressively D2, instead of aggressively focusing on Furtive.

In that same game, Furtive was confident that Brad was scum D2, not even focusing on other people. We can logically conclude that they too would be focusing on Jaiden/Icet if they were a jail keeper, rather than focusing on Brad that heavily. In that game’s spec chat, I talked about how I was hesitant to believe they were JK because I did not believe Brad would be sent out to kill. Mafia already knew this information, as mafia you have access to information that will help you make logic chains.

Circling Villagers:
Power roles have a tendency to act different from their fellow villagers. This is why they are often perceived as wolfy because they seem to be acting distinctly different from other villagers. As a wolf, you can use this to find potential power roles. For example, a doctor power role tends to be laid back and let others lead. Prodding such potential targets is an excellent way to figure out if they actually are a power role based on how they react.

I repeat, villagers who act differently from how you would expect them to act have a high chance at being a power role. Use this to figure out who is an actual power role.

I kinda ran out of motivation to expand on this so I’m just going to post it

4 Likes

this post was a combination of two posts so if it sounds disjointed I’m not going to fix it
I ran out of motivation very quickly when writing this

1 Like

Adverse effects include allowing the power role to shape the game in the way they want. They are confirmed town after claiming. This means other people can count on them being town and so the power role can shape the game the way they want. They can also state their previous actions, or their future actions, denying town information by killing tbem without them outting is optimal

Of course, they don’t have to shape the game the way they want. Eliza let the town do what they wanted after claiming, but if Eliza decided to pursue icet more after they cllaimed JK there’s not much icet can do

I have a question that may or may not be irrelevant to this thread: As mafia, would you still want to make a PR-hunting channel if you were to play a rolemadness?

Of course
its way more complicated but identifying power roles through behaviors and logic chains can be done in rolemadness too

3 Likes

Logic chains can be done by town too to identify PR’s btw
It just they don’t have the info mafia does too

Example of logic chain as town

Marshal claimed a role to delay all deaths, and coild stop if they guessed the role to who would have died → Marshal did not play in such a way that makes sense for said role → the role does not exist and therefore marshal isn’t that PR

1 Like

The longer the logic chain, the stronger it btw

You could add orange would not put said role in the setup, the setup would never be approved in it too

bet

2 Likes

Hm… What about @May’s logic as to why they had disbelieved Jarek’s Even Night CPR Doctor claim in Nightmare Woods FM Starcraft Overhaul? Like, the claim was unexpected and quite frankly unbelievable, but it is what happened. Basically, my question is:

If someone claims to have the exact same PR they had in a recent previous game, would you still keep an open tab for the possibility that they are telling the truth?

1 Like

Depends upon a number of factors

1. How have they played the game so far.
  2. What type of player are they? Are they likely to fake claim such a role?
  3. What type of setup designer is the host?

Some people may not know the answer to all these questions, and so it may not be helpful to ponder whether or not they are. In this instance, you could also use your bullshit detector to read their posts.

2 Likes

in pokexross villagers made our job easier by literally just claiming everything
also we were rarely actually screwed by town PRs except olives doctor so that worked out okay for us

2 Likes

Oh damn I accidentally said may

3 Likes

getting pr’s to claim in rolemadness is a great invention designed by town themselbes to lower their win rate

4 Likes

LOL get liked for acknowledging me

1 Like

I feel truly owned may

3 Likes

LOL get liked for acknowledging me

3 Likes

I will say though, that intuition also plays a massive part in how I find power roles. I started out playing mafia as a intuition plauer - a player who uses their intuition to get reads or makes assumptions. As I started playing more I’ve grown into being able to learn why I’m feeling certain things, how to use logic to deduce certain things, and I use them in combination now

I have no idea how to explain to people how i figured out that Vulgard is a rolecop and that aelin was a power role (both mafia and correct) because I didn’t logic my way into figuring it out, I used intuition and I still can’t really figure out how I figured it out, I just knew by looking at their posts

3 Likes

I can show you guys how I use logic to figure power rokes out tho