Yeah I’m also turning in
*mimics a gagging or vomiting sound*
It really feels like RNGesus doesn’t want us to follow the footprints. I lost against DC 10… in other words, I landed on the 45% chance.
Squirrel, I think Amelia (and Geyde) is(/are) already asleep.
(Yeah, this was just laying the groundwork in case amelia wanted to interact with us tomorrow)
(Like if amelia would have followed if awake i think that’s plausible to do retroactively)
I just checked. It depends on the DC. Basically, Aid Another is wasteful unless the DC is as high as at least 18.
…bruh. This is my third [7] already.
I do not feel lucky whatsoever.
…Squirrel, Atlas, Arete. Sorry in advance. I think I need to take a nap before I go to work in 2.5 hours.
(Going AFK.)
General mechanical note: if your character isn’t “in immediate danger or distracted”, you can take 10 on a skill check. Essentially, rather than actually rolling the check, you act as if you had just rolled a 10, and say something like “I’m taking 10, for a total of [your final total]”. This can be a good idea if you don’t expect to need a high roll on the check, such that a roll of 10 or higher automatically succeeds, but it is a bad idea if you’re doing something difficult that you’d need to roll higher than a 10 on.
some additional notes/caveats:
- you have to decide whether to take 10 before you roll, you can’t be like “I rolled low, I’m retroactively taking 10” (although if it’s a skill check that allows for retries, you can retry and make the opposite choice)
- you’re still subject to all the normal rules about trained vs. untrained skills – for example, taking 10 can’t allow you to roll higher than a 10 on an untrained Knowledge skill (unless you’d otherwise be able to roll it)
- combat always counts as being in immediate danger or distracted
- you can’t take 10 on rolls to aid another
- you can’t take 10 on Use Magic Device checks
- I can arbitrarily disallow taking 10 if it’s a situation where it wouldn’t make sense (for example, in the ~poker game, the d20 roll is partially representing whether you got a good hand, which is just a matter of luck)
You can sometimes also choose to “take 20”. Taking 20 basically represents retrying a failed skill check as many times as possible until you succeed, so you can only do it on skill checks where retrying is allowed. If there would be a penalty for failure, you automatically suffer whatever the negative consequences would be if you rolled the lowest possible roll (e.g., if you were trying to disable a trap, you might automatically trigger it), so this is not a risk-free way to get good rolls. Also, taking 20 takes 20 times as long as making a skill check once, so it may sometimes be impractical. Like with taking 10, I can disallow it if it makes no sense.
(you can basically think of taking 20 as being a way to ~skip past “I reroll my check to pick the lock on this door until I pass”)
I think it’s got to depend on your modifier too
ime the main scenarios where it ends up being used are:
- it’s the sort of thing that only one character can roll, or that a specific character has to roll (e.g., if A is making a speech, you can’t have A, B, and C all roll separate Perform (Oratory) checks)
- A has a much higher modifier to a certain skill than B, such that it’s really unlikely B gets a better roll than A does
- successfully Aiding will boost the target’s bonus by enough to guarantee they succeed
(Canary is currently mentally entertaining an idea that she really shouldn’t be)
Good thing Zelsh is pretty tough too.
It seems I have been mind-poisoned. (It’s not serious.)
I -Zone- saw Wanderer follow the group of three. My immediate thought was to roll a Perception check to see if anyone is following us. (In consideration to the fact that Arius is wary of Wanderer.) However, this doesn’t make sense, as I wouldn’t have had the idea of rolling Perception check otherwise.
…so anyhow, I am now more wary of my own thoughts and actions than before.