Weekly Monday Discussion #1

also I don’t know if you guys have checked the old awards OP but there are literally fewer recorded nominations than there are categories

either the OP is out of date and we’re going to force somebody to dig through 150 pages of the archive to try and rebuild it to hope a few slipped through the cracks somewhere, or it’s not out of date, we’re going to force somebody to do that thinking it is and they’re going to come back with nothing, and we’re literally going to have awards that just don’t get handed out because nobody’s about to go digging through the clunky archive to find things to nominate

I just

don’t think it’s a good idea to waste the time on it

Ahh see, the way the poll is worded is kind of confusing. Poll 1 only mentions the old site, so I assumed it didn’t include new site 2021 games. So if I’d have known that, I originally probably would have voted on poll 2 to keep new site 2021 with the 2021 awards.

However, like I was saying, I kind of like Geyde’s idea, so I’d probably be okay with having the cutoff sometime in November.

Though on the other thing, I don’t quite understand the desire to distance ourselves from the old site like it was somehow a bad thing or not ours. It doesn’t really matter that it was hosted by some game company. It was still ours and still something worth cherishing.

Whysper I was around from quite nearly the beginning of the old site and literally the birth of FoL and FM on the site

I obviously have that investment in the site

but logistically it just seems like a nightmare for no benefit

almost nobody was nominating things for awards anyways and it was going to be a rush as the deadline approached to even try and find things to get at least one nomination for every category

now trying to do that has become much much harder

and while, as I’ve said, I’m not against a paper plate type awards, spending the staff time on getting a formal awards ceremony put together when there’s still so much to do with the new site just seems like an incredibly suboptimal use of their time

Orange, I apologize if I disparaged your investment in the old site. I just want to make sure we aren’t pushing away the old site as something to “move past.”

If there is so much for the staff to work on currently and trying to organize an awards ceremony would be a hassle right now, then I suggest we skip this year’s award ceremony but plan to have legacy awards next year that would include all games from the old site. We can combine and keep all the current legacy and 2021 nominations and have that be the start of nominations for next year’s awards. Also, I will go through the old thread and make sure everything is put together and prepare those nominations.

The big issue with that is that there were already like four total legacy nominations when people had the ability to easily browse the site will full search functionality and all that

It’s just not something 90% of people showed any level of investment in and adding another year into that isn’t going to make it any better

I’m also not so much pushing to “move past” the old site as I am saying we should let this site’s awards be about this site. That just feels right to me in a way that tangling in a few scattered games from the old site really doesn’t, especially given the quantity of nominations was already so lackluster (again, literally fewer than there were categories).

Yes, perhaps 90% of people didn’t take the time to nominate. But let’s not throw away the efforts of the 10% who did.

And it’s not necessarily going to get much better quickly. It’s not like suddenly people are going to start nominating for next year. It will likely still be only 10-20% of people doing this. We just have to start somewhere and try to gradually get people inspired to participate.

Well I’m sure some of the 90% would have gone back and nominated stuff as the deadline got closer (that’s how people work lol)

But now that’s not a reasonable thing to expect people to do because the site doesn’t exist anymore and digging through it is much less convenient

I agree that more nominations will probably come in as the deadline gets closer. But likely people will just look through the list of games, see which ones they remember being in or spectating, then just go off memory for their nominations. That’s how people who wait for the deadline work. :slight_smile:

And this is fine for this year since we can’t expect much more this time. Let’s just make the best of the situation. :slight_smile:

Next year should definitely have more award nominations.

Bumping

Polls close 2021-12-15T19:00:00Z

3 Likes

I propose a solution to settle this debate

We have the old FoL awards, and I win all of them, regardless if they’re team awards/post awards/whatever

Additionally, I win all awards going into the future to settle if this site ever shits and pisses and dies

6 Likes

homie cat win award

5 Likes

What if we just had general legacy awards “best town player, best wolf player, community MVP” etc and not game specific ones

4 Likes

award grabbing

cat

the two genders

What’s the point of having those awards if I can’t win the rest

Trying to wrap up half of a decade into three awards seems, uh, bold

i meant just 2021

Sticky avatars have been added to Dark. Refresh for the update.

Slightly different from orange’s Light Theme sticky avatars in that my version always applies to longer posts, but only applies to shorter posts when scrolling up in a thread

Lmk in the User Interface Feedback Thread if there are any issues

4 Likes

We will not be upgrading to the $80/mo plan anytime soon, but may in the future.

7 Likes

Wow way to throw me under the bus :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like