Thoughts on Jesters

this is entirely intentional
players are supposed to utterly doubt any claim that exists in one way or another
a town fakeclaiming heretic can lose the game for evils in an instant when the demon kills theirself to trigger flagbearer just as easily as the demon fakeclaiming atheist can lose the game in an instant because if the storyteller is executed in a non atheist game, good loses
ever so onwards

3 Likes

honestly Alchemist Goblin isn’t nearly as strong as it’s cracked out to be

1 Like

true

1 Like

Maybe not until you rand Alchemist Goblin in a game with players willing to YOLO rerack D1 on your claim.

2 Likes

Alchemist Goblin still wins if they are executed in F3. Good wins ties and that means if you believe the Alch Goblin as good, you have a 2/3 chance of making the game winning execution.

1 Like

PROOF that jesters are fun and fair and balanced

6 Likes

Solid Darkest Dungeon class. A great intro move with Finale into one of the best stress healers in the game. I give him a solid 4 Reynaulds out of a possible 5.

3 Likes

+1

1 Like

its probably a lot stronger on forum because good can clear others a lot more confidently and evil don’t have the benefit of realtime hesitance/chaos to openwolf vote against it

2 Likes

I think that’s why I did Alch Fearmonger over Alch Goblin that one time

2 Likes

Extrapolating this case to all cases, Jester is only fun when YBW plays as one. Therefore any setup which includes a jester must also include YBW to forcibly rand into it.

5 Likes

Huh. To my surprise, enough people are actually willing to play with Jesters that leave upon reaching victory.

3 Likes

it’s a cycle

people think they’re fine until they actually have to play with them in a FM context

then their minds change

repeat ad infinitum

5 Likes

Well, at least the majority of this community agrees that Game-Ending Jesters are a bad idea.

As for the other Jester: We can check how many of them will actually join a game with that kind of Jesters. I am planning to eventually host Jester Cult Overhaul FM.

3 Likes

it is possible to make a game with Jesters in which context they aren’t completely trash

but that’s only if you specifically design the entire game such that they’re a focal point

which is really kinda outside the scope of the question as posed imo

1 Like

like I designed Nightless Mime 9 which is perfectly playable but in no world would I ever call that representative of adding a Jester to an average game

2 Likes

Fair. As for a game centered on Jesters though… What about Heaven and Hell FM from a couple months / years ago?

1 Like

no memory of it

1 Like

that’s not really comparable because as a jester you are trying to convince people you are scum whereas you are trying to convince people you are town to get sent to heaven…

1 Like

I see. Hm… Jester sure is a tough role to add in a setup.

1 Like