BotF XVI - Calm Before the Storm - Shattered Futures [Starseekers Win]

This world is filled by distortions, more than any other.
This world created as the ultimate distortion to pay the ultimate cost.
Please…
I’m trapped here.
I’ve analyzed this game to my wit’s end to try to find the answer.

I don’t know if there is one.
Who killed me?
I know they’re here, listening to me.
I just…
I just… wish.
I wish I could talk to them.
I wish I could make it up to Mikhail somehow.
I wish I didn’t have to die.
Please, can anyone hear me?
I’ll be waiting for you in the future. Where the icy winds and the butterflies meet…

Storytold by @Bellatrix and @Amelia

All art by @nightingale

Gameplay

Phase Lengths

Each day phase will last for 48 hours in a game with 12 or less players, or 36 hours in a game with 13 or more players. Each night phase will last for 24 hours in a game with 12 or less players, or 12 hours in a game with 13 or more. The game begins on a night phase.
Night actions are locked 2 hours before the start of each day.

Nominations and Voting

This game will use an entirely different voting system to previous BotF games, one more akin to standard FM voting.

• Vote using the vote tags described in the Voting Guide.
  • Casting the first vote on a player in a particular day is considered to be “nominating” them. A living player cannot nominate more than once per day. Dead players cannot nominate. If a player tries to make an illegal nomination, their vote will be nullified.
  • Players have one vote which they may use freely on any nominated players. At the end of the day, whoever has the most votes is executed.
  • Tied votes will result in a random execution between the tied players.
  • Dead players have a single “vote token” for the rest of the game. They may vote freely until they end the day voting a player. Once this happens, their “vote token” is spent, and they may no longer vote. Dead players may not nominate.
  • Sleeping (No Execution) is a valid vote. The Storytellers are a valid vote.
Whispers

Players may whisper each other in-game through private messages, known as whispers.

• Whispers must be publicly announced and by mutual consent. Use /whisper @[Player] to declare a whisper to a player, and the recipient may use /accept to accept the whisper.
  • Once a whisper has been declared and accepted, the players may talk through private messages until one of them speaks in the game thread. At this point, the whisper is considered ended.
  • Players may only whisper a maximum of 3 times during any day.
  • Please create your own whisper PMs, and make sure to include both @Bellatrix and @Amelia.
  • Some abilities require you to speak privately to the Storyteller during the day. To do this, declare so publicly using /whisper @Host-Account.
    • This does not count towards the 3/day limit.
    • You may declare this even if you do not have one of these abilities.
    • You do not need to wait for us to accept in order to request use of your ability.
    • Use your rolecard PM to communicate with us, instead of creating a new one.
Death
  • This game is flipless. Neither alignment nor role is revealed on death.
  • Dead players may continue to speak and vote, but are subject to the limitations described in the “Nominations and Voting” section.
    • As a result, dead players are still subject to the required post minimum.
  • Dead players have no ability, unless otherwise stated. If a player is killed in the night before they would perform their ability, they will not do so (see “Night Action Resolution”). Any ability with a persistent effect will end upon that player’s death.

Setup

Rolelist

This game is designed for between 7 and 15 players. All players are assigned one of the 4 character types, then an character from the possible characters for that type. Players that start as Imperialists or Heretics are part of the Inquisition, the uninformed majority. Players that start as Warlocks or Avatars are part of the Astral Covenant, the informed minority. Players cannot change alignments unless explicitly stated.

• Imperialists have abilities that are beneficial to the Inquisition.
  • Heretics have abilities that are harmful to the Inquisition.
  • Avatars are the members of the Covenant who carry almost all the killpower for their team, and must stay alive at all costs. Except in extenuating circumstances, there will always be one living Avatar while the game is in progress.
  • Warlocks are the other members of the Covenant whose abilities support the Avatar.

Members of the Inquisition are called Inquisitors. Members of the Astral Covenant are called Starseekers.

The number of characters of each type dealt out are as follows:

Total Players Imperialists Heretics Warlocks Avatars
7 5 0 1 1
8 5 1 1 1
9 5 2 1 1
10 7 0 2 1
11 7 1 2 1
12 7 2 2 1
13 9 0 3 1
14 9 1 3 1
15 9 2 3 1

No two players will have the same ability at the start of the game.

Starting Starseekers know each others’ identities and character types, but not characters. They have no method of private communication besides whispers, as described above.
Starting Avatars know three not-in-play Inquisition characters.

The abilities of certain characters modify the game setup, by adding or subtracting certain characters or character types. These are denoted in [square brackets], and only have an effect if the character is present at the beginning of the game. Unless otherwise stated, the amount of Imperialists is modified so that the total number of characters given out matches the total player count.

Characters

All possible abilities that players can have are listed below.

All players start with exactly one of the following abilities, depending on their character type. Imperialists and Heretics are Inquisition characters, while Witches and Avatars are Astral Covenant characters.

Night* (with an asterisk) in all contexts means “Night, except the first.”

Possible Imperialist Characters
Clockmaker You start knowing how many steps from the Avatar to their nearest Warlock.
Dreamer Each night, choose a player (not yourself or Travellers): you learn 1 Inquisition and 1 Starseeker character, 1 of which is correct.
Snake Charmer Each night, choose an alive player: a chosen Avatar swaps characters & alignments with you & then malfunctions.
Mathematician Each night, you learn how many players’ abilities worked abnormally (since dawn) due to another character’s ability.
Flowergirl Each night*, you learn if an Avatar voted today.
Town Crier Each night*, you learn if a Warlock nominated today.
Oracle Each night*, you learn how many dead players are Starseekers.
Savant Each day, you may visit the Storyteller to learn 2 things in private: 1 is true & 1 is false.
Seamstress Once per game, at night, choose 2 players (not yourself): you learn if they are the same alignment.
Philosopher Once per game, at night, choose an Inquisition character: gain that ability. If this character is in play, they malfunction.
Artist Once per game, during the day, privately ask the Storyteller any yes/no question.
Juggler On your 1st day, publicly guess up to 5 players’ characters. That night, you learn how many you got correct.
Sage If the Demon kills you, you learn that it is 1 of 2 players.
Atheist* The Storytellers can break the game rules, and if executed, the Inquisition wins, even if you are dead. [No Starseekers]

*If no Atheist is in play and the Storytellers are executed, the Covenant wins.

Possible Heretic Characters
Mutant If you are “mad” about being an Heretic, you might be executed.
Sweetheart When you die, 1 player is drunk from now on.
Barber If you died today or tonight, the Avatar may choose 2 players (not another Avatar) to swap characters.
Klutz* When you learn that you died, publicly choose 1 alive player: if they are evil, your team loses.

*The Klutz has 6 hours since they learn that they died to make their pick. The Klutz will automatically have this announced on their death. Other players may request to have this announced on their death.

Possible Warlock Characters
Doppelganger You & an opposing player know each other. If the Inquisitior is executed, the Covenant wins. The Inquisiton can’t win if you both live.
Cerenovus Each night, choose a player & an Inquisition character: they are “mad” they are this character tomorrow, or might be executed.
Pit Hag Each night*, choose a player & a character they become (if not-in-play). If an Avatar is made, deaths tonight are arbitrary.
Witch Each night, choose a player: if they nominate tomorrow, they die. If just 3 players live, you lose this ability.
Possible Avatar Characters
Fang Gu Each night*, choose a player: they die. The 1st Heretic this kills becomes an Starseeker Fang Gu & you die instead. [+1 Heretic]
No Dashii Each night*, choose a player: they die. Your 2 Imperialist neighbours malfunction.
Vortox Each night*, choose a player: they die. Imperialist abilities yield false info. Each day, if no-one is executed, evil wins.
Vigormortis Each night*, choose a player: they die. Warlocks you kill keep their ability & 1 of their Imperialst neighbours malfunction. [-1 Heretic]
Night Action Resolution

All actions are processed in a specific order each night. Natural Action Resolution does not apply. Dead players have no abilities (unless stated otherwise), and if a player is dead during their turn in action resolution, they do not act (unless stated otherwise).

First Night Other Nights
Travellers Travellers
Philosopher Philosopher
Minion Info Snake Charmer
Demon Info Witch
Snake Charmer Cerenovus
Doppelganger Pit Hag
Witch Fang Gu
Pit Hag No Dashii
Clockmaker Vortox
Dreamer Vigormortis
Seamstress Sage
Mathematician Dreamer
Flowergirl
Town Crier
Oracle
Seamstress
Juggler
Mathematician
Storyteller

The Storyteller is a term used to refer to us, the hosts of this game.

• We will decide what happens with any open-ended ability behaviours, such as deciding which false character a Dreamer learns, or the names a Sage learns if they are killed by the demon.
  • We will try to keep the game fun and balanced.
  • The extent of our ability to effect on the game is outlined above. We cannot break any existing rules, only decide what happens within the bounds of the characters’ abilities and base game rules.
The Fabled

The Fabled are special modifiers that the Storyteller can put in play to tweak the game.

• Fabled will always be announced when they are in play, along with their effect upon gamestate. The most likely fabled to be included are below.
Fabled Ability Purpose
Djinn Use the Djinn’s special rule. All players know what it is. Tweaks specific character interactions to work in longform.
Fiddler Once per game, at night, the Demon secretly chooses a player of an opposing alignment; All players then vote which of these two wins the game. Resolves the game on the off-chance it gets deadlocked.
Hell’s Librarian Something bad might happen to whomever speaks when the Storyteller calls for silence. “Allows” me to lock the thread at night. Tradition declares that this is a Fabled instead of just a rule in the OP.
Malfunctions

Malfunctions are the primary source of interference and misinformation in this game. It is stronger than what you will find in most mafia games, and exists to counterbalance the Inquisition’s arsenal of amazingly powerful characters.

• A malfunctioning character cannot affect the gamestate in any way using their ability. They cannot kill anybody, they cannot protect anyone from death, they cannot poison anybody, they cannot cause any other player to receive information.
  • If a malfunctioning character would receive information themselves, the information they receive is arbitrary (Storytellers decide).
  • The malfunctioning status lasts indefinitely, unless stated otherwise.
Victory
  • The Inquisition wins if all Avatars are dead.
  • The Astral Covenant wins if only 2 players live.
  • In the event of a tie (both teams win at the same time), the Inquisition wins.
  • Alternate routes to victory or defeat may exist as detailed by characters’ abilities. The list of all possible characters is above.
The Djinn's Special Rules

The following jinxes are in play.

Characters Ruling
Dreamer + Pit Hag If a Pit-Hag creates a Dreamer, they do not wake tonight.
Seamstress + Pit Hag If the Pit Hag creates a Seamstress, they do not wake tonight.

Miscellanea

Travellers

A Traveller is a player character that can enter or exit a game at any point. Their identity and ability are known to all players, but their alignment may be either good or evil (which is decided by the Storyteller upon their entry to the game).

Unlike standard players, Travellers exist under some special circumstances.

• They may be exiled by majority vote at any time, instead of executed. This vote is independent of the nomination/execution system.
  • They do not count as “players” for any rules or win conditions.
  • If they are evil, they learn who the Demon is.
Possible Traveller Characters
Barista Each night, until dusk, 1) A player becomes sober, healthy & gets true info, or 2) Their ability works twice. They learn which.
Hostess Each day, choose a living player; if they agree tonight, you learn their character, but both of you might die.
Butcher Each day, after nominations have closed. you may make a another nomination that resolves alongside the main execution.
Bone Collector Once per game, during the day, choose a dead player; they regain their ability tonight until dusk.
Deviant If you were funny today, you cannot be exiled.
Flavor Rules

This game has flavor.
Inquisitors have a flavor image that that is in their rolecard. They will flip with this image.
Starseekers have a stylistically different flavor image that is in their rolecard. They have access to and will flip with an image that is stylistically the same as the Inquisitors.

Lore exists.

You may claim your flavor name. This is not alignment indicative.
You may not post your flavor image. This also isn’t alignment indicative, but I don’t want any angleshooting around it.
You may not claim the flavor of your abilities.

Changelog

General

• Heavily reformatted OP information to be in more digestible list form, instead of text block form.

Characters

• Added Pit Hag jinxes to account for the fact that we cannot wake people to give them info in the middle of the night.

Mechanics

• Reworked Nomination and Voting System.
  • Neighbour whispers are removed.

The Sky Watchers

@Prisma101Etienne du MalavoisDied Night 3
@MistyxIvy Pantaleon
@nightingaleCassandra
@CRichardFortressLiesMeredith PontmercyExecuted Day 1
@Squirrel2412Feste PantaleonDied Night 2
@AtlasDalya MaryaszkyDied Night 1
@JarekLeto AlmyraExecuted Day 2
@ElizaThePsychoBianca GaetaniExecuted Day 3
@MarlunaAthena di AngelariExecuted Day 4
@YouButWorseVioletta Castiglione
@MagnusAdrian SavelliDied Day 5
@JakeTheWolfieAlexandra MorettiExiled Day 4
@WazzaJulian Romani

Trance Memories

Night 0 Begins — The Curtain Rises
Day 1 Begins — Jack-o-Lanterns
Night 1 Begins — CRichard is executed — Ink in the Candlelight
Day 2 Begins — Atlas dies — Hibiscus Tea
Night 2 Begins — Jarek is executed — A Chained Heart
Day 3 Begins — Squirrel2412 dies — Battered Notebook
Night 3 Begins — ElizaThePsycho is executed — Raining Cinders
Day 4 Begins — Prisma101 dies — Cogs in the World Machine
JakeTheWolfie is Exiled —
Night 4 Begins — Marluna is executed — Crown of Thorns
Day 5 Begins — Magnus dies — Shattered Futures

2 Likes

Cards will be going out shortly.

Do not speak about this game anymore outside of sanctioned areas.

1 Like

All Cards have been sent out.

Please let us know if you did not receive one, or if you have any game-related questions at all.

So then, without further ado, let the curtain ascend on our little performance.

Night 0 Begins and will end 2022-12-01T22:00:00Z.

2 Likes

With 10 players, there will be by default 7 Imperialists, 0 Heretics, 2 Warlocks, and the Avatar.

The number of Heretics and Imperialists can be changed by the Vigormortis (Avatar) or the Fang Gu (Avatar).

1 Like

(Starting 10 minutes early because I have a doctor appointment)

Why am I here?
What’s the point of this farce?
I died.
I saw her kill me.
The moonlight of the early morning glistened off of the bloody snow, framed by the eerie flickering of the jack-o-lanterns.

What’s a jack-o-lantern anyways?
This world is like the candle inside, without the pumpkin hiding it.
Perhaps, you can see the souls in this world for what they truly are.

Day 1 Begins and will end 2022-12-03T22:00:00Z.

first

This should be fun. SnV with the possibility of Atheist.

2 Likes

Ummmm, My name is not chat? It’s Worse. Could you please refer to me by my username?

1 Like

2 Likes

first

so…
anyone wanna claim athiest?
ahaha just kidding
unless? :point_right: :point_left:

youbutfirst

2 Likes

At least any atheist claim can’t be the Drunk on this script.

i forgot that you were the host for a sec

2 Likes

Tbf they can be the mutant, though atheist doesn’t sound like something a mutant would think to claim 1st.

3 Likes

alright lets move past this RVS phsae
who wants to whisper

either there is an athiest or there isn’t is how im gonna view it
no reason to really think about it much unless there is one

1 Like