Netrunner Mafia - Game Over: Mala Tempora

Netrunner Mafia

Welcome to Netrunner Mafia, a closed mentor/mentee standard setup for 13 players.

Host: @Prophylaxis
Co-Host: @Millium
Reviewer: @Zone_Q11

Rules:

1. You may trust all information the moderator gives you. There will be zero bastard modding or false information.

2. Do not lie about real-life commitments. Similarly, do not question the validity of other players’ real-life commitments. If you will be inactive for a prolonged period of time, inform the game host and I will do my best to replace you.

3. Mafia is a game about making arguments, but it is not a roleplaying game. Don’t go overboard. Lies are part of the game. Attacking someone’s credibility is part of the game. Do not overdo it. Everyone signed up to have fun, so keep the game fun.

4. Mafia is a game of analysis - removing a player’s ability to analyze things is against the spirit of the game. Keep references that only a handful of players would understand to a minimum. Encoded messages, hidden text, and other such methods are a no-no. Everything you have to say or not say should be clearly readable in your post by anyone.

5. Respect your fellow players, and their time. Don’t be a jerk. Do not threaten to or actually get intentionally modkilled. Do not directly insult your fellow players - attack their play, but not them as a person. Mafia is a social game, and you are playing with real people, not just names on a screen. Respect other players’ right to a good game. Give the game your best effort, no matter which team you’re on. Mafia games require a time investment, and if you sign up, you’re committing to spending that time and doing your part to contribute to a good game.

6. Do not edit your posts except to edit minor spelling/formatting mistakes. Do not edit any messages in private chats you may be posting in. Do not quote information directly from your role PM. Only living players may post in the game thread. Do not post in the game thread during the Night phase.

7. You may not privately communicate with anyone except the game moderator or your mentor unless you’re specifically allowed to do so. This includes using systems outside the scope of the game to communicate something game-related. Any game-related questions should be asked via Discord or PM.

8. Do not use out-of-game information (such as Discord status/usage, other forum activity, other mafia activity, or real-life activity) to generate reads. Do not use out-of-game information to exert pressure or influence on this game. Do not mention out of game information in the context of explaining or speculating on a player’s alignment in this game.

9. Executions are majority and plurality. My/lylo (mis-execute and lose, execute and lose) will be announced at endgame, and votes will be locked then.

10. If you EVER have questions about the game, PM me or reach out via Discord (Prophylaxis#0650). I love having more ways to procrastinate, and caring to your every whim is one of my favorites. If you are confused, curious, or unsure about anything ever, let me know before doing anything. I will not respond to questions in the main thread unless I feel that it is necessary.

11. The Global Rules and Forum Game Rules apply.

12. Good luck, and have fun! This is not optional.

Game Info:

1. This game will have 48-hour Day phases unless majority is reached early and 24-hour Night phases.

2. This game explicitly features only town and mafia alignments. This game will be of low complexity and of low power level.

3. No-execute is a valid vote, and may be hammered to end the day early. In cases where no-execute and another vote are tied at the end of the day, no-execute will have priority in the rand. In all other cases of a tie, the execution will be determined at random from among the tied players.

4. Self-votes are considered valid votes.

5. Make at least 15 game-related posts each day (unless day ends early). If you fail to meet this requirement, you might get replaced. For 0 posting in full game day I will force replace you without any questions.

6. Flavor/role claims are allowed. Do not quote information directly from your role PM. Flavor isn’t alignment indicative, but might be role indicative for some roles while being misleading or not role indicative for others. A player’s role PM will be revealed on flip.

Specifics

When referring to your role PM, you may directly quote your character’s name and your role title. For the effects of your abilities, you should paraphrase; when referring to your flavor, you should summarize. If the flavor is “You are a happy red dog,” don’t tell people it’s “I’m a content crimson canine.” Summarize. Say “I’m a dog.”

Please PM me if you have any questions about claiming.

1. Deadline for submitting actions is one hour before the end of the phase (whether day or night).

2. Players will receive action feedback as “Your action was successful” or “Your action failed”. If a player attempts to use an X-shot ability and their action fails, their ability will not be refunded.

3. Factional kills are optional and assigned.

4. This game will feature a postcap of 100 posts per day. Postcap will be lifted 2 hours prior to EoD.

Win Conditions:
The town win condition is: Eliminate all threats.
The mafia win condition is: You win when your team controls the execution, or when such control is inevitable.

Mentor/Mentee Game

This game will feature mentors, which are an ideal way for newer/less experienced players to get some personal help throughout the game!

The way this will work is that a mentor may lend their help by posting /mentor in the sign-up thread, and players who are signed up may optionally request a mentor to help them with their game. (Mentors, as well as knowledge of who is mentoring who, is also public). Mentors and mentees may discuss reads privately; however, mentors should not impose their reads on their mentees. Mentors should not be discussed or referred to in the main game thread. Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

All private conversations should be copied to me (I recommend making a PM chain and inviting me and my cohost).

Players (7/13):

1. Wazza r. Dum
  2. NinjaPenguin (m. Rajidae)
  3. Vulgard
  4. guavagudetama
  5. Kanave
  6. Flygon (m. Litten)
  7. Ashlyn (m. katze)

Jacked Out (dead)

1. ElizaThePsycho, Leela Patel – Trained Pragmatist, Vanilla Town, executed Day 1.
  2. Caspore, Nasir Meidan – Cyber Explorer, Vanilla Town, killed Night 1.
  3. Shending_Help, Ele “Smoke” Scovak – Cynosure of the Net, Vanilla Town, killed Night 1.
  4. Magnus, Edward Kim – Humanity’s Hammer, Vanilla Town, executed Day 2.
  5. Arctic, Chaos Theory – Wunderkind, Town Doctor, killed Night 2
  6. Squirrel2412, MaxX – Maximum Punk Rock, Vanilla Town, executed Day 3

Replacements:

1. Wisdom

Spectators:

1. Daeron

Welcome to New Angeles, home of the Beanstalk.

From our branch offices in this monument of human achievement, NBN proudly broadcasts all your favorite media programming. We offer fully comprehensive streaming in music and threedee, news and sitcoms, classic movies and sensies. We cover it all.

Ours is a brave new age, and as humanity hurtles into space and the future with an astonishing series of new advances every day, NBN and our affiliates are keeping pace, bringing you all the vid that’s fit to view!

Role PMs will be sent out in the next couple of hours to both mentor and mentee.

The game will start tomorrow at 2023-01-12T19:00:00Z.

Role PMs have been sent out.

The game will start at 2023-01-12T19:00:00Z.

Mentor/Mentee Rules and Guidelines

A certain number of players this game have mentors assigned to them, who can help answer questions and give them some guidance as to what to do if they are lost during a game. Mafia mentors, if there are any, would have access to the entire wolfchat.

Here are some baseline rules and guidelines regarding this system. If you have any additional questions, please reach out to me (Prophylaxis) or my co-host (Millium). I will be pretty lax in terms of enforcing these; I pretty much hope to trust everyone here to have a good time and not break the rules.

1. Please refrain from discussing mentors or referring to them in the main game. Some examples of what I would frown upon are:
  1. While mentors and mentees may discuss reads privately, mentors are discouraged from imposing their reads onto their mentees. For mafia mentors (if there are any), they are discouraged to give any direct mechanical advice. Basically, I just want a mentor to avoid playing the game through their mentee. If you’re a mentor, it’s ultimately up to you, but I would recommend either not reading or lightly skimming the game so that you can answer questions from your mentee without the benefit of context.

Day 1 - What Lies Ahead

The stadium roared as the announcer called out his alias. His fingers twitched, and he began to recite the prime numbers backward from a thousand. He reached 601 when the horn sounded.

Just yesterday he had traversed the harlequin streets of New Angeles, jacketed against the drenching rain that fell in sheets.

“Gotcha ‘scape man,” barked a low-life data dealer from beneath his ratty poncho. “Best stuff this side o’ the stalk!” He pushed past the dealer, dodged a landing hopper, and vanished down a darkened ally.

His destination was a dilapidated door, the green paint stripped and shards of broken wood hanging off it. He knocked on it awkwardly. It was opened by an attractive woman with jet locks and green eyes. “Please come in,” she said. “He is waiting.” His hostess led him past a bar, dance floor, down a set of revolving stairs, through a richly furnished lounge, and into a small office.

Mr. Li was an aging gentleman wearing a perfectly tailored suit. He sat behind a large metal desk. “Mr. Whizzard,” he said. “Please have a seat.”

The crowd was gone. The stadium, gone. He was in the game. It was dark, and he flicked up his HUD. The four bots under his command waited for an order. His seeker program was running. Three opponents were making for the central tower. Two more had split up the sides of the map. He smiled.

”Call me Whiz. And I prefer to stand.” He spent hours a day jacked in, he didn’t want to spend a second more in a slumped position.

“You have never lost.” It was not a question. “With the ICG tomorrow, there are a lot of creds switching accounts. The biggest cast this year, no doubt. And you… you are finally going to lose, yes?”

Whizzard coughed in surprise and anger. “I don’t throw games!”

Mr. Li stood up with placating hands. “Hear me out. This isn’t about money. If it was, I couldn’t offer more than the winnings anyway.”

It’s always about the money, thought Whizzard bitterly.

Mr. Li continued: “It’s about sending a message.”

His sensors picked up a laser from the remnants of the Armory, and he shielded as his StrikeBot was evaporated. Whizzard ordered a flare toss from the Y-Bot, flashed to the location, and opened up on a surprised opponent with his Rapid Flechette. His opponents’ shields were almost always too slow, thanks to the help of a small latency program of his own design.

Mr. Li did seem sincere.

”What message?” asked Whizzard.

“When two great forces oppose each other, the victory will go to the one that knows how to yield.” Mr. Li sighed. “You have built your career outside the system. You and…your friends…understand that the network is the ultimate means of control.”

“I’m not following.”

Mr. Li reached into his desk, and brought out a small chip, no bigger than his thumb. “Freedom for all from the network-for a time.”

Two of his opponents and their squads were down. There was a Sol assault coming in seven seconds and Pariah was out of position. Almost assuredly a critical. That left Hawkz and Sunesa. Sunesa was down to just a StrikeBot and Hawkz held the Nexus. The tower he needed. His tower. Activating a speed glyph, four lights streaked across the battlefield t toward the center.

Whizzard sat in silence after hearing Mr. Li’s plan. “Anyone who was linking into the cast…”

“And more. NBN routs it through the stalk.”

His mind was churning. This decision could change everything. “Alright, I’ll do it.”

Sunesa was out, and Hawkz still held the Nexus with a Power and Y. Whizzard ordered his bots to rush the tower and punched up a Smoke Barrage. Red warning lights flashed as one by one his squad fell to Shatters and flechette fire in the mad rush. But Whizzard gained the entrance, taking several body hits in the process and his shield dangerously low.

The tower contained the hook to the outside world. The PowerBot was holding the Jump Pad with a Shredder. Whizzard side-stepped and dived out of the way, strafing the heavily armored bot with his flechette. A slight disrupter field allowed him to dive through otherwise fatal fire and pop the bot in its weakpoint with a Slider Blade for massive damage. It deactivated and vanished in a string of pixels.

Hawkz and his Y-bot held the top of the tower, and Whizzard loaded up the cyber-EMP. It would activate upon his disengagement from the game, otherwise it could fry his brain. The closer he was to the Nexus, the stronger the signal and greater the chance of success. He hit the jump pad and shot upward to the pinnacle. As he landed he sheathed his weapons, and Hawkz and the Y-bot began to unload. Then his shield was gone and his HUD was on fire and the game began to slide away…

The crowd was roaring around him. He sat alone in an empty glass cage, the displays fading around him. A sudden hush began to fall as thousands of screens went dark. The ripple effect would cover at least half the American grid.

Whizzard grinned. “I’ll count this as a win.”

Sample Vanilla Town Role PM

Welcome to Netrunner Mafia, Millium! You are Whizzard – Master Gamer, Vanilla Town.

You have no abilities other than your voice and your vote.

Win Condition: Eliminate all threats.

Please confirm by replying to this PM. As always, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Day 1 of Netrunner Mafia has begun.
With 13 alive, it takes 7 votes to execute.
The deadline is 2023-01-14T19:00:00Z.

@ElizaThePsycho
@Caspore
@Dum
@NinjaPenguin
@eevee
@Vulgard
@Shending_Help
@Squirrel2412
@guavagudetama
@Kanave
@Flygon
@Arctic
@Ashlyn

first

just finished a turbo where i got ML’ed day 1 as JOAT in a tie with the wolf i was pushing, AMA.

1 Like

Hello, gamers.

Why do you play turbos?

idk
instant dopamine / adrenaline i guess

i’m also a lot better (as town) than in actual mafia so that helps too

I don’t like turbos because I’m polarized in them and that fact makes me insecure it feels like there’s no real solving to be done and it’s nearly all vibereads. Not that my usual reads amount to much more than that a lot of the time but that’s still a thing.

Is that turbo going to influence your play at all or not really? Do you feel like you learn something from turbos that’s applicable to regular games?

on day 1 it’s mostly vibereads but associative reads can also be pretty useful in turbos because a lot of the time wolves won’t put much thought into what they’re posting so if something feels clearing for someone most of the time it just is.

i don’t really think anything from that game is useful to apply here, since apparently my issue was not being towny enough to the extent that i got flashwagoned and this has never really been an issue when i’m town in long games.

now, something that may be slightly more potent, did you learn anything from pathologic invitational which you’ll try to apply this game? :joy_cat:

I genuinely forgot what game that was and had to look it up.

Do I need to answer this question? :joy_cat:

you don’t have to, but i think it would be a useful exercise if you haven’t thought about it much already

Votecounts should be enabled.

sup nerds

Was worried cause I was in class when this started but
I see we’re starting off with high activity huh :^)